Question Did i damage my CPU or motherboard ?

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Hello

I have a Asus Tuf B550M motherboard, a Ryzen 7 5700X and an XPG Pylon 650w PSU.

I have installed a new cpu fan as well as some case fans.

I´ve tried to set the max frequency ( 4,6ghz) in ryzen master to test some temps ( not any OC)

However , when i tried to do it , it asked me to also change the voltage (to 1,55v , maxvoltage) and when i did it my , cpu temperature was like 100 degrees in 5 seconds and the pc shut off

I´m wondering if this could cause any damage? i turned on the pc after just fine but i´m kinda worried

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.
gammax 400 v2
team group dual channel ram 16gb 3200mhz
rtx 3060 12gb
xpg pylon 650w psu (1year)
Windows 11
tuf b550m gaming plus (latest bios)

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
I believe the 5700X is only rated at 5.6GHz turbo boost on one core only. The base clock is 3.4GHz and with all cores at 100%, I'd expect to see a clock speed around 3.8GHz without PBO.

At a guess I'd say you jumped straight in at the deep end and attempted an all-core overclock of 4.6GHz, so Ryzen Master hammered the CPU with extra voltage and the system crashed. Hardly surprising really.

Whilst some enthusiasts have achieved all-core overclocks of 4.6GHz or higher, they usually do this by careful manual control of the CPU voltage and step up gradually to see what's possible, e.g. start at 4.2GHz all-core and increase slowly in 100MHz steps.

Ryzen Master overclocking sets the CPU voltage quite high, to cope with both good and bad CPUs. For most processors, the voltage applied by Ryzen Master is far too high and results in more heat than necessary and a shorter CPU life.

If you really want to overclock your CPU, consider buying a big heatsink and watch a few video overclocking tutorials. Manual control is usually better than Ryzen Master, but it takes skill, dedication and a bit of luck to achieve an all-core 4.6GHz overclock.

Under certain circumstances, you can destroy your CPU with fumbled attempts to overclock, especially if you apply too many volts. Read the spec sheets on the 5700X and look for the part which says 5.6GHz applies to one core only, out-of-the-box.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-5700x
Max boost for AMD processors is the maximum frequency achievable by a single core on the processor running a bursty single-threaded workload. Max boost will vary based on several factors, including, but not limited to: thermal paste; system cooling; motherboard design and BIOS; the latest AMD chipset driver; and the latest OS updates.

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
I believe the 5700X is only rated at 5.6GHz turbo boost on one core only. The base clock is 3.4GHz and with all cores at 100%, I'd expect to see a clock speed around 3.8GHz without PBO.

At a guess I'd say you jumped straight in at the deep end and attempted an all-core overclock of 4.6GHz, so Ryzen Master hammered the CPU with extra voltage and the system crashed. Hardly surprising really.

Whilst some enthusiasts have achieved all-core overclocks of 4.6GHz or higher, they usually do this by careful manual control of the CPU voltage and step up gradually to see what's possible, e.g. start at 4.2GHz all-core and increase slowly in 100MHz steps.

Ryzen Master overclocking sets the CPU voltage quite high, to cope with both good and bad CPUs. For most processors, the voltage applied by Ryzen Master is far too high and results in more heat than necessary and a shorter CPU life.

If you really want to overclock your CPU, consider buying a big heatsink and watch a few video overclocking tutorials. Manual control is usually better than Ryzen Master, but it takes skill, dedication and a bit of luck to achieve an all-core 4.6GHz overclock.

Under certain circumstances, you can destroy your CPU with fumbled attempts to overclock, especially if you apply too many volts. Read the spec sheets on the 5700X and look for the part which says 5.6GHz applies to one core only, out-of-the-box.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-5700x
Max boost for AMD processors is the maximum frequency achievable by a single core on the processor running a bursty single-threaded workload. Max boost will vary based on several factors, including, but not limited to: thermal paste; system cooling; motherboard design and BIOS; the latest AMD chipset driver; and the latest OS updates.
it was really a accident tbh as i only wanted to set fixed clocks to test some temperatures
Do you think this could have caused any damage to cpu/mobo? Thanks

Oct 18, 2023
it was really a accident tbh as i only wanted to set fixed clocks to test some temperatures
Do you think this could have caused any damage to cpu/mobo? Thanks
There's a fail-safe to prevent these kind of damages to the CPU when overclocking, the system shuts down to protect from that kind of damage, and letting you know that something is wrong, your CPU and motherboard should be fine, if you cannot access your Bios and your computer keeps booting and shutting down, then just CMOS Reset to revert the bios back to default, and you should be good to go.

nbartolo7

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2017
Hello

I have a Asus Tuf B550M motherboard, a Ryzen 7 5700X and an XPG Pylon 650w PSU.

I have installed a new cpu fan as well as some case fans.

I´ve tried to set the max frequency ( 4,6ghz) in ryzen master to test some temps ( not any OC)

However , when i tried to do it , it asked me to also change the voltage (to 1,55v , maxvoltage) and when i did it my , cpu temperature was like 100 degrees in 5 seconds and the pc shut off

I´m wondering if this could cause any damage? i turned on the pc after just fine but i´m kinda worried

Thanks
No you're fine. PC shut off precisely to prevent you damaging the components.

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
Many years ago I made a mistake overclocking an Athlon and increased the CPU voltage by 0.4V (400mV) instead of 40mV. The result was instantaneous destruction of the CPU.

It taught me a lesson and I now check thoroughly when tinkering with Vcore. Luckily it was a cheap second hand processor bought on eBay and the mobo survived.

Modern CPUs are better protected but you cannot guard against all eventualities.