Question Did I damage my gpu?

wrik2223

Prominent
Sep 22, 2019
So the thing is I just bought my first good gpu, MSI ARMOR RX 570 8GB OC edition. My old one was Nvidia GT 710 2GB DDR3. So i took out the old one and kept it ready to buy the new gpu. In the shop I realised that my psu wasn't powerful enough and it also didnt have a 8-pin connector, which the RX 570 needed. I didn't have the money for the psu so I just bought the gpu and decided to buy the psu later. After returning home I put back the old gpu. But somehow my monitor just won't turn on. It says "No connection from hdmi." I am worried, did something happen to my old gpu or is it some other issue? I watched many YouTube videos and did what they told but nothing helped. So I decided to just remove the old psu and the gpu and install the new gpu and keep it ready. while installing the new gpu, at first the brackets didn't fit properly. After applying a bit of force, it made a somewhat loud noise and got in properly. Can my new gpu be damaged from that? I am really worried.

Maybe, but I wasn't there to see what you actually did and how much force you used.

Thing about using force is that you may have damaged the motherboard as well, because of bending/stretching,

If I install GPU card and it won't fit properly, then I loose all the screws that keeps the motherboard in place. That way, the motherboard have som slack and can move slightly so you can insert GPU with less force. After that, tighten the screws - gently.

wrik2223

Prominent
Sep 22, 2019
Maybe, but I wasn't there to see what you actually did and how much force you used.

Thing about using force is that you may have damaged the motherboard as well, because of bending/stretching,

If I install GPU card and it won't fit properly, then I loose all the screws that keeps the motherboard in place. That way, the motherboard have som slack and can move slightly so you can insert GPU with less force. After that, tighten the screws - gently.
oh god. i just bought it yesterday. and i didnt apply that much force. i just used like 3 fingers...

wrik2223

Prominent
Sep 22, 2019
oh god. i just bought it yesterday. and i didnt apply that much force. i just used like 3 fingers...
i just opened and checked it again. the bottom part of the brackets are a bit bent. is that normal or is that due to the force?

and i took a picture, how do i insert it here?

wrik2223

Prominent
Sep 22, 2019
If it is bent it's certainly damaged. You may have luck to get it work again if you un-bend it, but not guaranteed.
only the metal bracket is bent. not any component or anything. i did un-bend it and also noticed something. my previous gpu only took one slot whereas this requires 2. in the case there are little metal protectors which has to be taken out before installing a new gpu in that slot. i didnt do that before. i did it now and the gpu got in the slot like a charm

wrik2223

Prominent
Sep 22, 2019
So the thing is I just bought my first good gpu, MSI ARMOR RX 570 8GB OC edition. My old one was Nvidia GT 710 2GB DDR3. So i took out the old one and kept it ready to buy the new gpu. In the shop I realised that my psu wasn't powerful enough and it also didnt have a 8-pin connector, which the RX 570 needed. I didn't have the money for the psu so I just bought the gpu and decided to buy the psu later. After returning home I put back the old gpu. But somehow my monitor just won't turn on. It says "No connection from hdmi." I am worried, did something happen to my old gpu or is it some other issue? I watched many YouTube videos and did what they told but nothing helped. So I decided to just remove the old psu and the gpu and install the new gpu and keep it ready. while installing the new gpu, at first the brackets didn't fit properly. After applying a bit of force, it made a somewhat loud noise and got in properly. Can my new gpu be damaged from that? I am really worried.
can someone tell me whats the first issue is? why did my old gpu behave that way?