Did I damage my Phenom II X4?

Murderotica926

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I just did something stupid. I'm about to list my old AMD Phenom II X4 on ebay. I wanted to test it before selling it just ensure it hadn't sustained any static damage while in storage. My foolish self thought it would be okay to test the CPU without attaching a heatsink, because all I planned to do was boot into Windows and shut it down after confirming it successfully loaded the operating system. (Yes, I know how insanely stupid this was, you don't need to chastize me further).

So I started up the system and loaded Windows. Everything was fine. I figured I would check HWMonitor just to see what the temps were without a heatsink. The CPU showed 95C on all 4 cores. The NorthBridge was also at 105C. My heart sank and I almost shat myself, immediately shutting down the system. The system was running for only a few minutes total, I didn't run any applications or programs besides HWMonitor. I have no idea what temps were during the OS load because I only checked HWMonitor at the very end. I'm terrified I just damaged both the CPU and motherboard. I know that the i5 in my MacBook has exceeded 100C several times and didn't take any damage, but I have no idea about AMD CPUs and what temperature they are damaged at. I have not run the system since this happened, I'm a little scared to.

if it overheated most boards have a temp shutdown limit for core temps reaching too hot. most likely still fine and working, and or possibly a faulty reading as there shouldnt of been a reason for the NB to reach 105c just for not having a heatsink fan on the cpu. Only way to be sure is throw a heatsink fan on it and test again. If its fried it wont boot lol and then answers ur question, and if it boots then its most likely okay, just use a HSF