[SOLVED] Did I damage my ram slots/motherboard?

Dec 3, 2020
(Asrock B450M PRO 4, Ryzen 7 2700x, 2x8GB 3200mhz ram)
So I have a system I built last year, it was working fine with my XMP enabled (3200mhz @ 1.35V). Fast foward to this month, I bought a new motherboard for my next build. I plan on transferring my cpu, ram, and gpu to it.

After the new motherboard came in, I took out my cpu, ram, and gpu for the current build to run a test bench for the new motherboard to see if it works. It is working fine as expected, I even ram XMP on it too and it worked. Installed windows on it as well with a different ssd.

Now that I am done testing it, I put the parts back into my rig and booted into windows. Checked task manager for the ram and it is running at 2133 now, strange. I go back into bios to re-enable XMP and saved changes. The pc flickers for a bit then reverts back to 2133mhz

It seems I can't get it to enable XMP anymore. I tried lowering the speed. I did 2400, 2666, and 2933. None of those worked

Tried increasing the voltage a little. Nothing worked.

Then I started testing to see if the ram got damaged. I tested one at a time with XMP enabled, they both work. Then I tried the ram in different slots. I had the ram in A2-B2 originally. I tried both sticks in A2 and they worked with XMP. Tried them in B2, and they could not handle the XMP. Tried in A1-B1 as well. Could not handle the XMP.

I also cleared cmos, did nothing.

I'm not sure what I did. Only A2 works with XMP. Did I damage the mobo while removing the ram??

Solution
check if there's an updated BIOS you can load. or if you can re-flash the existing if not.

i've run into similar issues that seemed like a lost cause.
then somehow flashing the BIOS would correct the problem when resetting it or clearing CMOS wouldn't.
Dec 3, 2020
check if there's an updated BIOS you can load. or if you can re-flash the existing if not.

i've run into similar issues that seemed like a lost cause.
then somehow flashing the BIOS would correct the problem when resetting it or clearing CMOS wouldn't.
I thought updating BIOS might mess up my pc. There are 2 updates in front of mine. Do I do each at a time or just the newest one?

the BIOS is wiped and completely restored each time it is flashed, so no matter what board or manufacturer or age it may be from, you would never need incremental updates.

the latest is almost always the best option because the point of them being updated is bug fixes, new features implemented, and\or performance improvements.

Jul 21, 2021
I have this same issue, A1 works with XMP but any other ram slot combined with this drops the profile, also all other slots work with the profile if A1 is not used.

I started to think its the cpu. Check for bent pins

I'm running a Asus crosshair viiii formula. Not a 5sec job for me as its a custom loop.