Question Did I destroy my brand new card?

Jul 14, 2019
Hello everyone I have been struggling with a problem the whole day and can't figure it out.
My specs:
2200g
2070 MSI Armor
2x8 gb corsair 3000MHz
Thermaltake smart 750W
MSI gaming plus mobo b450

I wanted to dual boot linux and windows so I decided to install linux on my second HDD(windows is on SSD). I installed it and then I could not boot into windows so I reinstalled windows. So far so good.

Then when I got into windows my screen starts to go solid, random colors randomly. I figured its a driver problem so I removed driver with DDU and reinstalled it, no avail.

So I switched to my mobo's HDMI output but I can't get it to working, formatted windows bunch of times, ran chkdsk and did secure erase on ssd and reinstalled windows, nope.

One time it seemed to work fine, I plugged my hdmi to GPU and ran a benchmark, temps did seemed fine (60-70 max) and average 40 fps on 1080p extreme, so I don't think(hope) my gpu is dead. Then it started to do it again, but this time only happened when I opened/closed any program. Screen would go black for 2-5 seconds and come back.

Then I checked event logs thru device manager. It showed nvidia driver would stop working but recovered succesfully, everytime the screen went black.

I don't have any more ideas, should I send the gpu back? What else can I do?

AllanGH

Commendable
Mar 10, 2019
Yeah. The "latest and greatest" drivers are frequently more late than they are great. It never hurts to roll things back to an earlier rev (sometimes several revs back), to see if it agrees with your scenario better.

ASK THE COMMUNITY