[SOLVED] Did I do anything stupid? ( Radeon Settings )

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
So I was checking my radeon application and saw that it recommended me some stuff to increase performance and by accident I applied them. When I got back to gaming the performance was indeed way better but I also checked that my gpu usage was at 99% ( Not all the time but It was peaking it quite often ) while before it was like 40-70% MAX , at 99% the temps are below 80 ( Vega 56 pulse max temps allowed is 85 ) it uses like 180watts while before it was at 50-150 , and also on my cpu its at 90C most of the time at 30-45% usage (Ryzen 5 2600 ) while before it was at like 10-25% and at 66-89C. Also the fps is uncapped while I had it capped , even if I enable 60fps limit in game settings the fps is still 90 + . My question is what did I actually change , I dont want to ruin my hardware by pushing it to its limits all the time , I mean yeah I have WAY better performance but at what cost ? Is it ok to leave it that way or should I disable them ( I dont know how because I dont know what that setting changed )

Thanks.

Solution
Wraith Stealth cooler (bundled with Ryzen 5 2600) is not that great for OC.
Basically this stock cooler is for stock settings. Overclocking requires improved cooling.

BTW Ryzen 5 2600X is bundled with Wraith Spire cooler. That cooler is significantly better.

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
This is too high for the processor to be at consistently. How are you monitoring temperatures?

Nothing wrong with the component usage, it's more the temperatures that are of concern.
We don't know what settings you changed unless you can recall what you pressed!

Using the MSI afterburner and rivaturnerstatisticscenter. Well I checked the wattman and settings are still the same overclock wise nothing changed its all at stock same with processor clocks are what they used to be. Before changing the settings CPU would still reach 90C at certain areas ( Playing MMORPG and some places have too many characters to load so I assume its somewhat logical ? ) but after leaving those areas it would go to 66-70 now it remains at 80 - 90 C. The temps were low before because it was only using below 70% gpu usage maybe because its 99% most of the time it takes more cpu power and eventually increases temps?

Wraith Stealth cooler (bundled with Ryzen 5 2600) is not that great for OC.
Basically this stock cooler is for stock settings. Overclocking requires improved cooling.

BTW Ryzen 5 2600X is bundled with Wraith Spire cooler. That cooler is significantly better.

Solution

green_salad

Commendable
Nov 24, 2018
FOUND THE ISSUE

If I limit my fps to 60 its all cool , at 60fps limit I get 63-69C , when I disabled it and it went to 130+ fps temp reached like 80C in like 3 minutes, I returned to 60fps limit but I am sure that if I left it for more time it would eventually reach 90 like it used to. Weird though because I had to select limit fps to 30 in order to get 60, if I had it on limit fps on 60 it goes 130+ , limit fps to 15 it goes to 20.Whatever.