Did I do this right

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Was told that I had to reset the cmos on my msi mobo. Reason being is that the person who gave it to me had disabled the onboard graphics. I removed the battery from mobo and moved the jumper from pins 1-2 to 2-3. it has been like this for about an hour (he had pulled gpu card to use in another pc). Hw called me @7am this morning to find out if I had it up and running and he told me he had disabled the onboard. I also understand that support for win xp will be discontinued some time next year by microsoft. I love that opsys. since this mobo will support 64bit should I install xp pro 64bit and is it that much better than 32bit. I do not like win vista and for some reason windows 7 seems hard for me to navigate. that may be due to the fact that i have used xp since it first came out. have discs for xp home 32bit, xp pro 32bit, xp pro 64bit and vista but not a disc for windows 7. also have office2007 enterprise and office 2010 corporate 64bit. please advise as to what ould be best. pc has a 2.8ghz pc that is unlocked 4gig ram and hard drive space is no problem (close to 1tb internal hdd space). CPU is amd 7750 black edition :??:

Solution
Ideally you will want the main boot device to be in the lowest numbered SATA port, usually either a 0 or a 1.

After that, you would want to put a secondary boot device if any in the next lowest numbered port, so a CD drive or a second hard drive that you want to boot from.

If there is no second boot device and there is only a bunch more hard drives in there, it doesn't really matter what order you put them in.

If you don't have enough SATA ports to hold everything, you can get something like this

http://tinyurl.com/c7qw7tx

that you can plug into an expansion slot and it would hold 2 or 4 or however many other SATA devices. I am not a big fan of using this many hard drives, but if you really want to it should work.

It doesn't...

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
This will more than likely be my last submission here. Have given up. Have a person coming this weekend to pickup all pc parts, games and everything else that doesn't work on this dell. Can't expect you guys to help me when i don't have the money to help myself. it's been fun and I will miss all of you. I just can't keep getting depressed over a pc as it is affecting my health in more than one way. God Bless all of you

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Did you know that amd 3 cpus are backward compatible with amd2 mobo. it will only support ddr2 but not ddr3. Still getting rid of other pc parts. will have to save up the money to purchase a cpu. One question if the mobo is bad and i put in a know (new) working cpu will it short out the new cpu?? if it will then I may as well save up the money and get a new mobo that supports the INTEL I series of cpus. Are the mobo off ebay worth investing in or should i get from new egg or the dealer?

I can't see any good reason a motherboard should be able to kill a perfectly good processor unless there was something wrong with the voltage regulators. With no OCing it is pretty unlikely even on MSI boards.

I would probably not get a motherboard off ebay, because it might be hard to return it if they give you one that sucks or is straight up broken. At least if you get a cheap one at a store or online you should be able to take it back if it doesn't work.

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Thanx but i think i am going to give up on having a better pc. I get too depressed when i can"t get one up and running. I stop eating and i don't sleep because i just keep on keeping on trying to figure out what to do to one and it is affecting my health to much. When this one goes out i probably won't even get another one. All the other pc parts are gone including 2 brand new gpu and a 80gig hdd. the only thing i have left is the msi mobo, case and psu, and the cpu. Everything and i do mean everything else is gone. as of now i only use this pc bout 1 hour a day. I don't even play games on it any more and really don't care too. All the other games i had are gone also because they ddn't work on this piece of junk. Told man that gave me the msi he could hav it back if he wanted it{ in an email} but haven't heard from him as of yet

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Talk to a local computer shop and can get a Biostar mobo with a 7750BE cpu brand new for $90.00. Never heard of a biostar mobo are they any good? Now that is minus ram. It will take me bout 3 months to save up the moneyand he has agreed to put it in my case free of charge including installing the cpu fan and ram

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Got back home about an hour ago. Need some info please. Was given an acer pc today. haven't check it out was told it was loaded down with viruses. It is an ASE360-ua421m Aspire. It says on the front that it has an Amd 4200+ cpu . the drive and evry thing are in it. the drive is a sata 250 gig and this is one gig of ram. I went to the wikipedia and it says that the 4200+ is a dual core that has a clock speed of 2.2Ghz. What i am trying to find out is three thing. 1) should i just completely reformat the hard drive and reinstall op sys or should i try to run superantispyware and avg and try to get rid of the viruses. 2) on the sticker on the front of the case it says it has 1gig ddr ram. Which it does as i did pull one stcik out and it said 512Mb @ 400Mhz but. its just ddr or ddr2 (BTW is has 4 mem slot) plus one pcie and 3 pci slot. it also looks like it has four sata connections and 1 dual IDE but no FFd connection. the psu is a sun pro 300 watt. 3) Is this acer mobo better than the msi k9n6pgm. One more thing there is omly onboard graphic and i want to know what gpu will and will not work in it. PLEASE anyone who reads this Please reply asap

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Thanx. I did find out that it is ddr2 and that it will run 4gig ram. I thank you for replying so fast will let you know how it is as soon as possible :bounce:

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Finally got a chance to hook up Acer pc. It did not turn on. but No problem have other psus. But noticed the main connector to the mobo is a 20 pin not a 24 pin and it does have the 4 pin plug. Question all my psus have a 24 pin connector. isthat going to make a difference or mess up the mobo. Waiting to hear from you before i do anything else or i hear from Raiddin

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

If you don't mind and get a chance please read my last few post and replies to 4745454b and if you can help woul be in debt to you. Long story short. given acer pc with amd anthlon 4200+ cpu told ate up tiyh viruses. hooked up today no power psu in pc has a 20 pin and 4 pin connector to mobo . have othe psu but has 24 pin and 4 pin. will it work or mess up the mobo. Thanx in advance for your help. Btw the 4200+ is a dual core

You could put a 24 in a 20 and just leave 4 of them hanging off in space too and it would still work as long as nothing was obstructing anything.

If something was obstructing things, you could still just cut off the 4 on the end with some sort of high powered cutters that can do hard plastic and it would work fine as long as none of the cables to the 20 were messed up in the process.

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

There was a whole lot of dust on the inside of the case. the connector on the mobo is a 24 pin it just has a 20 pin hooked up to it. I think someone may have changed it out at one time. So the 24 pin will work ok. going to stay right here till i hear back from you. Dust probably killed the psu

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

I know that i have to be one of the biggest dummies in the world. I Googled the ase360-ua421m images and found the mobo and psu. It originally took a 24 pin with a 4 pin psu so that was the reason it wouldn't come on. When looking at the mobo image i noticed that it has 4 sata connection, 2 Ide connections, and a Fdd connection. the inside of the case has room for 4 hdds, 2 cd/dvd and a zip or floppy drive as it has a card reader installed already. Man said he didn't want the msi back so i still have it and the caseThinking about putting the acer mobo in it.. BTW the aer has a 250gig sata hdd and an IDE cd/dvd burner. looks like the big cpu fan on the msi would fit on the acer. Would it be wise to use the bigger fan or stay with the little one on the heatsink on the acer. The inside of the case the msi mobo is in has the same frame to hold everything the acer can. Thinking about putting my pata 320gig and 500gig hdds in along with the 250gig sata hdd but not sure how to hook it all up and i will also be using the sata cd/dvd burner that is all ready installed in the msi case. one IDE connector is white and the other one on the mobo is blue. Would you mind telling how to hook everything up as i have never dealt with sata devices. Just to let you know the hdd is connected to the bottom of the 4 sata connector

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

I think the dust in that thing killed the psu. There was so much dust behind the cpu fan that the fins on it was clogged up. What about the other stuff i asked you about if you don't mind telling me.

Ideally you will want the main boot device to be in the lowest numbered SATA port, usually either a 0 or a 1.

After that, you would want to put a secondary boot device if any in the next lowest numbered port, so a CD drive or a second hard drive that you want to boot from.

If there is no second boot device and there is only a bunch more hard drives in there, it doesn't really matter what order you put them in.

If you don't have enough SATA ports to hold everything, you can get something like this

http://tinyurl.com/c7qw7tx

that you can plug into an expansion slot and it would hold 2 or 4 or however many other SATA devices. I am not a big fan of using this many hard drives, but if you really want to it should work.

It doesn't really matter which heat sink you use if they can both mount correctly. I would probably just stick with the one that is already on there because you know it mounts correctly.

If you try the other one and it doesn't mount right, it could cause stability problems or potentially damage hardware in the worst case.

Solution

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Thank you. BTW how is the house coming along. Reason want that many hdds is so i can keep my games on the pc instead of dvds and cds. What I thought i would do since the sata drive is all ready connected to sata 0 that i would hook up sata dvd to sata 1 and use ID1 for the other 2 hdds. Thanks also for the web link will be checking it out. Have a very good day :)

I am not a big fan of copying all of one's CDs to their computer. I don't do it with music, movies, or games.

Hard drives work better the less stuff you have on them. Stuff like anti-virus and stuff gets done faster, computer boots faster, and all that stuff.

Imagine if you wanted to find a needle (a file) in a haystack. Would you want the haystack to be very large or very small?

The difference may not be huge, but its there.

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

There would be nothing on the sata 250gig hdd but the op sys. I was going to put my games and music on the 320 and 500gig secondary drives as the sata250 is going to be my primary drive. will this slow down the actual speed of the primary drive and cause it to work harder. I guess you could say i am a lazy person because i hate to have to look through a bunch of cds or dvds to find what i want. ii have noticed in the past that when i would copy a game or music file to the hdd from a dvd or cd that i get a thumbs.db or bd attached to it and then it show that i have files that cannot be defragmented on my hdd when i defrag it even though it doesn't show up what files cannot be defrag when i view the report. i have only been messing with pcs for bout 2 years so i don't know a whole lot. Can i open and install a game directly from the cd/dvd or do i need to copy the file to the hdd before i can install it. SEE I TOLD YOU I WAS A DUMMY!!!!!

You have to install a game before it will run it, and that involves copying at least some of the files on the CD to a game directory for most games.

Usually the install excludes a large portion of the files to save hard drive space (one reason why you need CDs to play the game) and the game will load them from the CD when necessary. Usually those are the sorts of things that are only ever used 1 time, like cutscenes.

You don't have to copy the whole CD to the hard drive before you can install anything that I have ever heard of.

Anyway, you can do as you like with the games/music/etc, I just wanted to say that it makes your computer perform worse if you do, potentially significantly so.

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

I know that some game require that you copy something like a boot file to retrieve that data from the disc but, what i was talking about was game that didn't require to get data off the disc. I have and play a lot of H O G [hidden object games] most of them aren't even 700Mb long and i usually install them on the same hdd as the game itself in an install folder. They are never installed on my op sys drive. Even the folder "My Documents" is not on my primary drive. I never install any games in the game folder on the primary drive. I don't even use windows media player. I use vlc and it along with my music is also on a different hdd

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Finally I think I figured out what you were talking about. What i am thinking what you were trying to tell me is that regardless if the music and games are on another hdd everything still has to run through the master hdd. now my problem. Took psu out of msi and put in acer. the one out of the acer was a 350w and the one out of the msi is a 450w if that makes a difference. It solve the problem of acer not turning on. but when turned on it has a long solid beep sound coming fom onboard speaker. I am now thing that the ram is bad in it. Has 2 x 512 ddr pc3200@ 400Mhz. I thought that since the cpu was an Athlon 4200+ dual corethat the ram would also be dual core because I just pulled the ram out and compared it to the crucial 2gig stick that i just pulled out of the msi. I guess that the old saying never assume anything is absolutely correct. Don't have any pc 3200 ram [extra]. There is 4 slots for ram on mobo.the ram was in the 2 slot closest to the cpu. can i try it in a different slot say like 3 and 4

There aren't any cores in a ram stick. The RAM and the processor are completely separate.

If both the board and the processor can handle ram with XXXX mhz then the computer will boot fine unless some part is flawed.

If either the processor or the board can't handle the XXXX mhz RAM, then the computer won't boot and it will give some error code.

If you tried taking out the 2x 512MBs and putting in 1x 2GB and it stopped working then it is likely that either the board or the processor can't handle whatever MHZ the 2GB stick is.

The RAM should work in whatever slots, but it may work less efficiently if it isn't in the suggested slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.