Did I do this right

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Was told that I had to reset the cmos on my msi mobo. Reason being is that the person who gave it to me had disabled the onboard graphics. I removed the battery from mobo and moved the jumper from pins 1-2 to 2-3. it has been like this for about an hour (he had pulled gpu card to use in another pc). Hw called me @7am this morning to find out if I had it up and running and he told me he had disabled the onboard. I also understand that support for win xp will be discontinued some time next year by microsoft. I love that opsys. since this mobo will support 64bit should I install xp pro 64bit and is it that much better than 32bit. I do not like win vista and for some reason windows 7 seems hard for me to navigate. that may be due to the fact that i have used xp since it first came out. have discs for xp home 32bit, xp pro 32bit, xp pro 64bit and vista but not a disc for windows 7. also have office2007 enterprise and office 2010 corporate 64bit. please advise as to what ould be best. pc has a 2.8ghz pc that is unlocked 4gig ram and hard drive space is no problem (close to 1tb internal hdd space). CPU is amd 7750 black edition :??:

Solution
Ideally you will want the main boot device to be in the lowest numbered SATA port, usually either a 0 or a 1.

After that, you would want to put a secondary boot device if any in the next lowest numbered port, so a CD drive or a second hard drive that you want to boot from.

If there is no second boot device and there is only a bunch more hard drives in there, it doesn't really matter what order you put them in.

If you don't have enough SATA ports to hold everything, you can get something like this

http://tinyurl.com/c7qw7tx

that you can plug into an expansion slot and it would hold 2 or 4 or however many other SATA devices. I am not a big fan of using this many hard drives, but if you really want to it should work.

It doesn't...

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

okay i know that i am stupid but why is ram called ddr, ddr2, and ddr3. Acer is working fine just that it seems to be running slower than this dell

4745454b

Titan
What are the parts of the two machines?

If either the processor or the board can't handle the XXXX mhz RAM, then the computer won't boot and it will give some error code.

This almost never happens. The ram should have a number of pre programmed specs to run at. If you buy DDR3 1600MHz ram, it should include some timings/settings for DDR3-1333, and DDR3-1066. (it might also include 1866 or faster settings as well, but not always.) Very rarely will you buy ram that fits the slot and not have it work. From what I've seen its an issue with the chipset/memory controller like the 965 based boards.

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

I am going to close this thread and open up another one Titled sata and ide so please look for it

Status
Not open for further replies.