Did I do this right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Was told that I had to reset the cmos on my msi mobo. Reason being is that the person who gave it to me had disabled the onboard graphics. I removed the battery from mobo and moved the jumper from pins 1-2 to 2-3. it has been like this for about an hour (he had pulled gpu card to use in another pc). Hw called me @7am this morning to find out if I had it up and running and he told me he had disabled the onboard. I also understand that support for win xp will be discontinued some time next year by microsoft. I love that opsys. since this mobo will support 64bit should I install xp pro 64bit and is it that much better than 32bit. I do not like win vista and for some reason windows 7 seems hard for me to navigate. that may be due to the fact that i have used xp since it first came out. have discs for xp home 32bit, xp pro 32bit, xp pro 64bit and vista but not a disc for windows 7. also have office2007 enterprise and office 2010 corporate 64bit. please advise as to what ould be best. pc has a 2.8ghz pc that is unlocked 4gig ram and hard drive space is no problem (close to 1tb internal hdd space). CPU is amd 7750 black edition :??:

Solution
Ideally you will want the main boot device to be in the lowest numbered SATA port, usually either a 0 or a 1.

After that, you would want to put a secondary boot device if any in the next lowest numbered port, so a CD drive or a second hard drive that you want to boot from.

If there is no second boot device and there is only a bunch more hard drives in there, it doesn't really matter what order you put them in.

If you don't have enough SATA ports to hold everything, you can get something like this

http://tinyurl.com/c7qw7tx

that you can plug into an expansion slot and it would hold 2 or 4 or however many other SATA devices. I am not a big fan of using this many hard drives, but if you really want to it should work.

It doesn't...

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Wasn't sure what they actually meant by stopping support for xp.THANX. I know ima justa dumb gal and i think i may have really messed up. like i said i had removed the battery and had moved the jumper both eas like this for over and two hours. move jumper back but forgot to put battery in. hooked up power cord and turned on still no video. I hope i didn't mess up the mobo or anything else. when did get video unplugged power cord and put side on nd move to the side. was furstrated when got back to work table to put things away that is when i found the battery. don't know if ture or not but was told once i got video all i had to do was to remove hdds from this dell to that pc. but i don't know for sure and because of different type of bios i don't think it would work. would you please enlighten me on this. it would be nice if i could but...........

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

I took the battery out and left it out for almost 2 weeks. I unhooked the ac power cord and had the jumper on pins 2 and 3 and hit the power button using just battery power. I had taken the battery out of my dell to make sure it had a full charge. I then put the jumper back on pins 1 and 2 hooked up ac cord and turned on. no post or anything. I think when he pulled the graphic card out that he somehow shorted out the mobo. these are the parts i have: power supply, 4 gig of ddr2 memory, 940 pin amd am2 dual core cpu, and cpu fan, hdds, dvd burner, cd burner, a real nice case. Guess i am going to have to try to find a mobo that i can use these parts on. I know i have forgotten to list something so if you ask me i will let you know what i have. Maybe i can or you can find me an inexpense mobo that these parts can be used with

4745454b

Titan
Model number on mobo and PSU? 7750BE should work on any motherboard it fits in as its a first gen CPU. But maybe it needs a bios update to make it post.

I'm thinking its more a power issue if he's sure the board works. If you have a bad PSU or one not hooked up correctly/fully then it won't post. Also possible the CPU is bad as the BE were used for OCing and it might have died.

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

the mobo num is k96pgm2-v the power supply is atx switching ps 450 watts. how wouldyou update the bios if its not running I don't know what you mean by" as the BE were used for OCing unless ocing means overclocking. Let me see what size of ps i have in my dell. other than that i think the largest ps i have is 300 watts. Dang I am dumb now i know that BE stands for black edition. without even checking the size of the ps in the dell it should be powerful enough as it has 1 usb1 and 4 usb ports built in and i have a 4 port pci usb2 in it and a 4 port usb hub hooked up to it and allthe ports are full and in use most of the time. i have a wireless keyboard and mouse hooked up, 2 printers, wireless broadband, external cd and dvd burner, web cam, and one open port for my flash drives. Do you think that it might be powerful enough, also shouldn't it post even if the cpu is bad. Rick said that if it didn't work that he had another cpu he could send but i don't think it is as fast as this one is suppose to be

4745454b

Titan
MSI's website didn't like that model number. Doing fast online search says it was a special board that they made for someone else. You can't update the bios if its not running. Either dead CPU/board, power not hooked up fully/correctly, or dead PSU. Easiest thing to check is PSU hooked up. You have the 20 or 24 pin main ATX bundle in securely? 4 or 8 pin plugged in as well? Ram plugged in? Try other ram slots?

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Have just rechecked power plugs both the 24 and 4 pin still no go. I am thinking of pulling mobo and psu completely out. Will pull psu 1st and try in my dell pc, if it will power up then i will pull mobo and go over it with a fine tooth comb and check to see if there is any burnt marks on it. I also have 3 sticks of cruial 1 gig memory with built on heatsinks ( they are ddr2) and try them if i can't find any burnt marks on mobo. I will be sure to wear a grounding strap while i am doing this. it's homade just a real long length of real flexible wire with alligator clip at one end and bare wire to go around my wrist. If that doesn't resolve the problem i will see if rick will send me the other cpu. The booklet that came with the mobo on the front plainly states the the number is K96NPGM2 WITH NVIDIA GEFORCE MCP61+ NFORCE 430 CHIPSET. IF YOU NEED IT i will see if i can find a serial number on the mother board. It also says it supports AM2 for AMD Sempron, Athlon 64, and athlon 64 X2 and AM+ 95W processors. the only other psu is a sparkle 300W that has both the 24pin and 4pin connectors. I may have mistype number of mobo earlier. What would happen if i pull cmos jumper completely of and power up pc. Alos hae never had a pc with sata. Dvd that came with it is sata so should it be plugged into the sata 1 or sata 2 socket as i will be using ide for the hard drive.

The wrong CPU for the slot or a CPU with bent pins could keep the computer from displaying any signs of life.

Outside of bent pins, a bad CPU won't usually keep a computer from displaying any signs of life, it will usually just cause all kinds of blue screens and similar stability problems.

If you try to turn a computer on with the battery out of the computer it doesn't do any serious damage. The job of the battery is to help the computer remember various settings like what time it is and what parts are connected to the motherboard. If you take the battery out the computer will forget those things and it will be forced to re-discover everything like it had to do the first time it was turned on. That is all.

If you have a data only drive it doesn't really matter for the most part what computer it is plugged into. If it has an OS on it, then you can't move it without causing problems in the new computer most of the time.

If a CPU is working it doesn't usually stop working the next day even if it is OCd. Heavily OCd processors can easily blow up motherboards, but they don't usually blow themselves up. Usually, something else goes first. It is possible, although highly unlikely, that the CPU would be bad if it used to be working unless it was removed, the pins bent, and reinserted.

If you have tons of USB devices plugged into the computer, I would take out whatever you can stand to be without in the short term while you are trying to fix things. Large numbers of USB devices make it hard on even good PSUs. In fact, after video cards USB devices are probably the next biggest killer of PSUs.

Lots of USB devices could conceivably also make it restart over and over endlessly.

It is unlikely you will find any actual burn marks on the motherboard, even if it got killed by something.

You generally want to plug SATA devices into the motherboard starting with the lowest numbered port first, so 0 if you have it or 1 if you don't.

I wouldn't put a lot of trust in the Sparkle 300w, but it should at least get the computer to show signs of life if the current PSU is DOA and the Sparkle one isn't, even if the result was just endless restarting.

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

99.9% of the time neither one of the printers or the external cd id turned on flash drive is only used as needed. When i installed the cpu it fell right into place but will pull and check for a bent pin. The first time i tried the msi i had it hooked up to my flat screen then hooked up to composite. composite just showed a snowy screen but i cannot remember if it went to standby or not. If a psu is dead will the power button be green when turned on and will the cpu fan work because both do when i push the power button. the reason i said i would look for burn marks is because i had a gateway that stopped working and actually found a burn mark close to the fan connector. when i push the power button it stays on just no video or any posting. I also do not hear any type of beeping which i think if i did that would mean that the ram is bad. is that correct. Here is a list of other mobo i have but don't think they are even as good as the dell: foxconn 661fxme, dell dimension 1100, and hp p6b580m, plus and old pc 800 . Is it possible that it wouldn't post because it has no op sys on it????

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

I have a friend that has all the tool to check a psu outside of the case. Problem is he lives in Jacksonville, Fl and doesn't come to waycross and i have no transportation to get to him but will call him tomorrow and ask him to bring his equipment the next time he comes up hereso he can check it out. Outside of that I don't know what else to do. I really believe that the mobo is dead. Its just a feeling i have. Oh well guess i am stuck with this dell for awile longer HAHA!

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Basically all i have done is installed the cpu and use artic silver 5 on it put in a hdd outside of what i have told you. I haven't did anything else to it. Does a composite monitor have to be set. I don't have a gpu just onboard

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

It doesn't turn off and on it stay on until i push the on/off switch again. It just doesn't post and since it has been so long since i have messed with it i am not sure if the monitor goes to standby or what. Like i said i think the mobo is dead or maybe the bios is shot. If you will go back to msi.com and view the mobo , this is the correct number this time K9N6PGM2 you will notice that there is 2 sata connectors and one dual ide connector. the DVD that is already installed is a sata. my hdds are ide and if needed i can install an IDE DVD. The reason i am asking you to look at it again is so that you can tell me exactly what to hook to where. looking at the layout of the mobo in my booklet under pci 2 slot and to the far left is is a JAUD1 connector when looking at the mobo itself there is a small cable hooked to it running to the front of the pc then to the right of it is JCD1 nothing it hooked to it to the right of it is SPDOUT1 to the right id FDD1 to the right of that is JFP2 to the right of that and sitting vertically is JFP1 which has a 6 wire ribbon type cable running to the front of the case. Sitting above the JFP2 connector is JUSB1 and JUSB2. JUSB2 has round cable running to front of case. sitting above this is sata1 and sata2 connectors. Sitting above this is JBAT1 and the pins from left to right are 1 ,2, and 3. Maybe this will help you help me to get this thing running. If you have anymore question please ask will be up for about another hour and a half

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Jumper is on pins 1-2. I think the board is fried for the simple fact that it will not post because i was told that even if the cpu was bad that it should post. Is that right or not

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Pulled psu about 4:30 am this morning because i couldn't sleep. Put in this pc and has been running every since then. Most of the the people I know are running Pentiums. I can try to get in touch with Rick, he said he had another cpu he could send me, but would hate to do that just in case the mobo is dead. Is there anyway i can check it out myself? I don't have any test equipment but i may be able to borrow at least a multimeter if i could do it with that.

There are usually buttons on the monitor that tell it to switch between different input methods whether VGA, DVI, HDMI, etc. If it is on the wrong one then you wouldn't get any video even though the computer was working.

I can hit a button on my monitor and it will go off and I can still just sit here and type into this reply box and when I hit it again to switch back to DVI then the video will come right back up.

However, if you had an internal speaker connected, you should still be able to hear POST beeps if it is working. If you don't have an internal speaker or it isn't working then you wouldn't hear anything, though.

I doubt the multi-meter would help much.

Byotch

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

it is hooked up to my old composite monitor that i was used just before i got this flat screen and it was set for vga it definitely doesn't have hdmi when i unhooked itwas just set to the side. it has an internal spkr but i never heard anything

Status
Not open for further replies.