[SOLVED] Did I Fry All My Components?

Panzerbjorne39

Commendable
Jan 14, 2020
So I made a stupid mistake of using a couple metal twist ties on my cable management close to the MOBO and I think I nearly shorted out my PC and damaged the components. Not sure which will be affected if not all, but if anyone has any ideas which I should replace first that would be helpful. I tried booting with the twist ties like an idiot and the leds flashed a few times and there was audible clicking sounds. It wouldn’t boot.
after removing them, resetting the CMOS, it will now boot but with issues. It now has an intermittent clicking upon boot, a moment ago it loaded into windows but without any video signal. It loaded windows fine though I could see all my RGB profiles working. What should I do? I hate knowing my PC is no longer reliable.

Solution
So I made a stupid mistake of using a couple metal twist ties on my cable management close to the MOBO and I think I nearly shorted out my PC and damaged the components. Not sure which will be affected if not all, but if anyone has any ideas which I should replace first that would be helpful. I tried booting with the twist ties like an idiot and the leds flashed a few times and there was audible clicking sounds. It wouldn’t boot.
after removing them, resetting the CMOS, it will now boot but with issues. It now has an intermittent clicking upon boot, a moment ago it loaded into windows but without any video signal. It loaded windows fine though I could see all my RGB profiles working. What should I do? I hate knowing my PC is no...
after removing them, resetting the CMOS, it will now boot but with issues. It now has an intermittent clicking upon boot, a moment ago it loaded into windows but without any video signal. It loaded windows fine though I could see all my RGB profiles working. What should I do? I hate knowing my PC is no longer reliable.
You need to make sure which components is making the clicking sound.
It could be a hard drive, a fan, a PSU fan, optical drive, etc.

Power off your PC.
Remove power cord.
Press the power button for 15-20 seconds, press it again for 5 seconds.
Connect the power cord back.
Open the side panel, to check the clicking sound, and power on.

Reactions: Panzerbjorne39
Solution
Mar 31, 2019

Try turn on the pc without hard drives and gpu. If it making clicking sound again, check your cpu heatsinks.

Reactions: Panzerbjorne39

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
Usually a clicking sound would be the psu atleast in my experience, I shorted out a hard drive once and the psu made a click sound, another time I had a bad psu and it would click When trying to turn the pc on I think it was grounding somewhere in the psu, that all being said I would imagine if it’s clicking then it would still be grounding out something or perhaps there is a cable sitting on a fan.

Replace the PSU and try your components one by one in another working PC to pinpoint which component is fried if there is any.

Panzerbjorne39

Commendable
Jan 14, 2020
Thanks for all the suggestions. Since I still hand receipts within return period I’m just going to start replacing components one at time starting with the psu until the issue appears resolved. What a pain

Panzerbjorne39

Commendable
Jan 14, 2020
Ok I replaced the PSU and it still did a funky startup with less flickering. It did post and got into windows fine though. I’m still worried, going to replace the motherboard next unless someone think the next step would be replacing a different component for this process of elimination?

Panzerbjorne39

Commendable
Jan 14, 2020
The led on the AIO and others flickered a few times quickly before as it was posting. After a few more resets and a memory test, it seems to have stopped. But, I did just get a boot into windows without any video. So either the mobo has issues or my GPU was damaged in the short. The GPU definitely has power, lights and fan’s are on, but now display on screen. Any ideas?

The led on the AIO and others flickered a few times quickly before as it was posting. After a few more resets and a memory test, it seems to have stopped. But, I did just get a boot into windows without any video. So either the mobo has issues or my GPU was damaged in the short. The GPU definitely has power, lights and fan’s are on, but now display on screen. Any ideas?
Is there video output at boot?
Try the integrated graphics by removing your GPU.