Question Did I fry my CPU

Apr 6, 2019
Doesn't AMD offer 3 year warranties? It's worth the try...

The other thing would be to get a needle and carefully scrape the flake away from between the pins. But I'd try the RMA first.

The scary part is if that thing caused your motherboard to go defective too.
I'm not sure if the motherboard caused this to happen, it was a Biostar.

I think that’s an Intel policy only, but even if it isn’t why should you even mention the OC part ?
That's something that's always bugged me...
how can it be they create special SKU's that are required...both on their CPU and chipsets...and charge a premium for (in case of Intel) in order to overclock, even demonstrate overclocked models of their products at tradeshows. And then turn around and deny warranty coverage for doing that very thing they are marketing? When doing things like that the implied warranty of merchantibility starts to come into play and you CAN'T deny that.

Has anyone ever had warranty claim denied on basis of 'it was overclocked'? Maybe the language of the warranty really is meant to exclude overclock-ABILITY. Meaning: the mfr. doesn't guarantee any specific processor will perform beyond it's published specs.

I could see a denial if they could prove you operated beyond specc'd voltages (try to find that for Ryzen) or above specc'd temps. Except, Ryzen throttles itself into submission at TjMax, 95C, so how can that be.

I'm just a bit confused.

Last edited:
I doubt they will give you any headache about it. I would wait and see what happens. AMD pushes overclocking hard. Including overclocking ability, cheap overclocking chipsets, and beefy coolers with any amd ryzen cpu.
Heck you could even unlock more cores on older phenoms. Amd seems to encourage tinkering.