[SOLVED] Did I fry my GPU? And why?

Mar 23, 2020
ASUS Maximus VI mobo
Intel i7 4770k processor
AMD Radeon HD 7970 GPU
2x8GB RAM

So a few days ago I got a surge protection error from my motherboard (detected a power surge, shut off to protect, etc) and I kept getting the problem. I got a new PSU.

My old PSU was 1000W 80+ platinum
and my new is 850W 80+ gold

I had the same problem as before, so I was trying to figure out exactly what was failing and I restarted the computer and re-created the circumstances a couple times to listen for what was happening when a bad clicking noise and a metallic smoky smell came from my GPU.

Now I have no display from the GPU, one of the fans doesn't spin, but everything else appears to be working fine.

Is my GPU dead? Was it caused by my power supply, or an issue with the mobo or an issue with the GPU? Aside from my new PSU, all of my other parts are about 7 years old but have been pretty reliable up to this point.

Solution
To answer both of your questions yes the card is most likely Dead so I would pull from the system.

As to why, card is from 2012 so she has some age, but most likely is dust build up on cooler helped the card to it's final demise.
To answer both of your questions yes the card is most likely Dead so I would pull from the system.

As to why, card is from 2012 so she has some age, but most likely is dust build up on cooler helped the card to it's final demise.

Solution
Mar 23, 2020

Should I be worried about my motherboard being the problem? Or is it definitely my GPU?