LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
My work system is an old asus M5A99FX pro R2.0 with a 8350 cpu. I was playing around today with different settings to see if I could tweak it up to 4.3ghz. Well after about 6-7 different try's, system is now very angry with me....Or so I guess. It will not boot at all :( I tried to reset CMOS a few times, but not working. I do notice that red CPU led is lit solid. I even tried an old Athlon processor for kicks. Nothing. If motherboard is fried, or CPU, is it worth fixing? And if so, do I stick with 8350 and ddr3?
Thank you for your time to read my post, Larry T.

Solution
Also, how do I know if motherboard is ruined? or just CPU is damaged? I do like the fact I can use win 7 on this computer. May have to trash it all?? Trying to buy outdated parts is probably a waste of $$$. Anyone have ideas as to how to determine what actual part is gone? CPU or Motherboard? I really would like some feedback from people who would know. thank you, LT

The only practical way to test is to have spare parts. Unfortunately, you may have fried both the CPU and motherboard in this case. It's hard to tell you to go out and replace such old parts because quality used motherboards that can run a 125W AM3+ CPU competently can go for as much as decent new Ryzen motherboards.

Ralston18

Titan
Per the motherboard manual (Page 1-27) the solid red CPU LED indicates a hardware problem.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/E8043_M5A99FX_PRO_R20_V3_WEB.pdf

Does the following link and specs (scroll down) match your CPU?

https://www.dateks.lv/en/cenas/procesori-amd/73615-amd-fx-8350-8c-4-0ghz-16mb-cache-125w-am3-

What other settings did you play around with?

If only the CPU LED is lit then maybe only the CPU was damaged.

However, the problems may have gone deeper if you went a setting too far.

Reactions: LTVETTE2

LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I did play around with voltage of CPU, I believe i went to 1.65v. But I am surprised that after clearing cmos, older CPU (athlon) still would not work in MB. I used that cpu when I first started with this motherboard? I did notice when apart that cpu cooler was clogged with a blanket of dust. As I was first playing with settings, system would always reset and say "overclocking failed", but this last time, it did not give me any recourse.

Last edited:

LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Also, how do I know if motherboard is ruined? or just CPU is damaged? I do like the fact I can use win 7 on this computer. May have to trash it all?? Trying to buy outdated parts is probably a waste of $$$. Anyone have ideas as to how to determine what actual part is gone? CPU or Motherboard? I really would like some feedback from people who would know. thank you, LT

DSzymborski

Titan

The only practical way to test is to have spare parts. Unfortunately, you may have fried both the CPU and motherboard in this case. It's hard to tell you to go out and replace such old parts because quality used motherboards that can run a 125W AM3+ CPU competently can go for as much as decent new Ryzen motherboards.

Solution

LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I think I fried both, since old Athlon won't run either. Well it looks like time to upgrade biz system. I forced my fate by playing around....Now Intel or AMD? I think Intel since I can steal 32 GB from this new system, and reduce cost of memory. Plus I have an extra m.2 I can use. Now when to buy it all? Sales are coming up...
Thank you all for your help in this matter. Expensive lesson!!

LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Despite my disdain for win 10, most of my systems now run it. It is no where as easy for me as 7 was. Now is time to learn it due to force!! Thanks Microsoft, for nothing!!! I wonder if I can force win 7 on a new system??

LTVETTE2

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I guess the long and short of this is that OC settings for an Intel i7-8700k, do not in any way work for an AMD FX-8350....that is where I got 1.65 volts. Painful lesson by not doing a bit of homework. Now I have many hours of re-building for the few minutes i thought I saved. Oh well.

DSzymborski

Titan
You shouldn't be putting an 8700k at 1.65V either.

Regardless, the larger point is that this is completely now how you go about overclocking. You never just look up what someone did, and just presto-chango set everything to that; it's the exact wrong method. You gradually increase multipliers and voltage, with extensive testing each step of the way.

I would strongly not recommend doing any kind of overclocking until you put some serious time reading the whys, whats, and wherefores.

Reactions: LTVETTE2