Did I fry my new 8700k?!?

gregdumais

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
Okay, so I'm a complete noob and this is my first build.

I was half complete with putting my new system together but my h100i hasn't arrived yet. I turned the system on twice for about twenty seconds each time to make sure everything's working (I know, bad idea). There was no monitor plugged in yet or anything, I was just checking the fans and lights. Nothing out of the ordinary happened, no weird sounds, no smoke and no signs of damage on the cpu. So I guess that's good at least.

But after this, my friend has informed me that I probably damaged my processor, since it has no heatsink and fan. I didn't know that it could get that hot so fast, I figured a few seconds wouldn't hurt it but apparently I'm completely wrong.

I thought newer motherboards had thermal protection built in that cut power to the processor if temps reached 90c or so.. My friend said that since the motherboard is new and hasn't run the bios yet, it's not configured to run thermal protection or something like that.. Now I'm really worried.

This sucks, I'm scared shitless that I just fried my CPU and blew 400 dollars. My cooler hasn't arrived yet, so I still can't check to see if everything is okay. Should I try and return the CPU or do you guys think it'll be okay? Any help would be so much appreciated..

LeKeiser

Reputable
Mar 1, 2015

that's right, be a thief... you might have burned your CPU but you don't want to take the blame for your mistake. Want the store to pay for it.
Great great attitude (y)