Question Did I fry my psu?

Yellownese

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Hi there hope you're all having a good day, mine could be better. I was getting up to eat lunch earlier and I accidentally touched my power strip/outlets and turned it off and on for a split second. After that, I wasn't able to turn on my pc at all. I reconnected my cables and still my pc won't start. The thing is, I still see a solid white light in my motherboard when my psu is connected. How does this make any sense? I tried the paperclip test on my psu and found the fans don't start spinning. I just hear a slight "buzzing" noise, can't really make out what it is. I'm assuming my power supply is dead because I shorted it by flicking on and off the power button on my power strip really quick. But how does my motherboard still have a solid light in the mobo when everything is connected? Just wondering because I know i'll have to order a new PSU but i'm not sure if anything else is messed up as well. Please help me out. Thanks.

I agree that you probably need a new power supply.

As far as the light staying on.....there are multiple voltages that a PSU supplies....at least one is on when you power it up with the switch on the back....when you press the power button on your PC....the rest come on. It sounds like your issue is.....the rest aren't coming on.

Yellownese

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
I agree that you probably need a new power supply.

As far as the light staying on.....there are multiple voltages that a PSU supplies....at least one is on when you power it up with the switch on the back....when you press the power button on your PC....the rest come on. It sounds like your issue is.....the rest aren't coming on.
Thanks, I'm probably gonna order a new power supply off amazon and see if it works.

Yellownese

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Good.....and I wouldn't buy something cheap. I'd get a quality supply like a Seasonic or Corsair. A faulty supply can ruin your whole system in less than a second.
Thanks for the concern. Checked the psu tier list and got myself a 2018 corsair rmx 750. Should be good to replace my rosewill photon, had that power supply for a little more than half a decade.

Reactions: King_V
Thanks for the concern. Checked the psu tier list and got myself a 2018 corsair rmx 750. Should be good to replace my rosewill photon, had that power supply for a little more than half a decade.
That's great. A bad PSU really can ruin you're whole system.
One good voltage spike can kill everything.
I'm running an RMx 750 and an RMx 1000 and no problems.

Reactions: King_V

TRENDING THREADS