Question Did I fry my rx6800?

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
Last night, I OCd my card using Adrenaline. I've had the same OC for almost 2 years on the card, but I accidentally reset it and went back in to redo it manually. Afterwards, I booted up a game and after 20 minutes, I experienced terrible performance. Long story short, I had somehow turned my fan speed for the card down to minimum in Adrenaline and the card hit 100⁰ so it throttled itself. I exited the game, adjusted the fan curve, and played for another hour or so with no issues (card stayed at a solid 66⁰).

Now this morning, I boot up my PC, and I get no signal whatsoever from my card. The fans don't spin. All I get is the rgb lighting on the card activating. I can't even get a signal to go to bios. It's like there's nothing plugged into my monitor.

I did a hard cmos reset on my mb. Used an hdmi cord instead of my display port. Nothing.

Any tips?

XfX Merc 319 rx6800 (latest drivers)
MSI X470 gaming plus
R7 5800x
32 gigs DDR4 @ 3066 mhz

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
A little more info- I tried trouble shooting by removing and testing each RAM stick, after noticing the VGA light on my motherboard (red indicator light) was staying on when the computer boots. Still no signal.

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
More info- tried booting after unplugging all my drives. No luck. Tried booting after moving card to another free pcie slot. No luck. The only thing I can think of to continue trouble shooting is switching out the gpu or motherboard.

Is there anything else?

bpanugget

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
X470 Gaming Plus (second most recent bios version)
R5 5800x
RX XFX Merc 6800
32 gigs DDR 4 @ 3066mhz

In 2020, I upgraded my cpu and gpu. In order to do so, I had to use my old zen 2 chip to upgrade my bios for zen 3. For 2 years, I've never had an issue. (this info might be relevant later).

The other night, I played a game for about 20 minutes after resetting a mild/stable overclock in AMD's Adrenaline software, that I had accidentally deleted. While playing, I noticed that my framerates were dropping drastically. When I turned on Riva Tuner Statistics, I saw that my GPU temp was hitting 100⁰. I went back into Adrenaline and saw that I had somehow set my fan curve to the lowest possible setting. I adjusted it to auto, re-entered the game, and had no issues. It ran great and my Temps didn't get above 70⁰. (Not sure if any of that is relevant either, but I'm gonna throw it all out there)

I shut the computer down when I was done, and when I went to use it the next day, I couldn't get a image on my monitor or even a post. Looking at my motherboard, I saw that my VGA error light was on.

The fans on the gpu aren't spinning, but maybe they wouldn't because i cant even get a post. The RGB lighting on the gpu is working though. Cpu fans and ram idicator lights are on. From there I've done the following:

-reseated gpu.
-reseated ram.
-tested individual sticks of ram.
-reset cmos with battery.
-reset cmos without battery.
-used different display cables and a different display.
-used a different psu.

As a last ditch effort, I unplugged everything from the mobo. I even removed my cpu. I then took out the battery and reset the cmos.

After plugging everything back in, it still won't post. Except now, I get a cpu indicator light on my mobo, instead of the vga light.

Perhaps the last ditch effort I made of unplugging everything and resetting the cmos, wiped the mobo to a previous bios version that isn't compatible with my 5800x (that's why I mentioned the bios update above)

I'm at a loss of what it could be. I'm hoping it's the mobo, and not the cpu or gpu. I live in a rural area and the tech guys up here know about as much as me, and I don't have access to other parts to do testing.

Is it worth it to get a new mobo just to test it out, or is there something I may have missed?

Any advice would be appreciated.