Did I fry my sound card or my TV Tuner?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Ok, I think is this going to be long and unusual. Ok, a couple of days ago I decided to switch from DSL to Cable and add digital cable boxes to my TVs. What a nightmare! I decided to add a box to my TV-Tuner (ATI TV Wonder). The TV Tuner is connected to the Sound Card via the Line In connector. I hooked everything up. It worked! But the cable was really long and the signal was weak so the pictures appeared fussy. I decided to install a signal amplifier to increase the signal to the TV tuner. It worked ok for a while. Then suddenly I hear this big blast and the sound from the TV Tuner stops working. Now, I'm not sure which device is at fault! Is my sound card's Line In connector screwed up or is the TV Tuner's Audio Out connector screwed up or is the cable screwed up? My current sound card is PCI128. If the sound card is the problem, then I'll just get a SoundBlaster Live! or Audigy now and get it over with. If the TV Tuner is the problem then I'll go to ATI (Yes, I live near ATI's central headquarters) and ask for a replacement because I'm still under warranty. Either way, I have to find the problem soon because I don't want to waste my money.

Could somebody please tell me if there's anyway to test both cards and find out which card is at fault?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
You will need to have a "spare" Sound card to use as testing, if you put in the new soundcard and it works, great, you solved your problem, if it doen't, then it is the TV tuner that is defuct. I recommend the SB Live value and I do beleive that you can find it for $30 at <A HREF="http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?refer=pricegrabber.com&id=54" target="_new">Compuplus.com</A> or at <A HREF="http://www.1steweb.net/web/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=eWeb&Product_Code=SCARD-Sound+Blaster+Live!+OEM-PG&Category_Code=Creative-Sound+Card&INO=001618" target="_new">1steWeb.com</A>. this is a good price for this card. If you want the audigy, you will pay a lot more money for it ($84-$215).

If it works for you then don't fix it.

TRENDING THREADS