ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hey everyone. After installing my new RX 6700XT and Ryzen 5 5600, I decided to do some cable management because my case has been a cable mayhem for a while now. Once I pressed the power button my pc turned on for like half a second and then it shut down and it wouldn't boot after that. I unplugged the power cable and then plugged it back in and the pc booted just fine and it recognised the new CPU just fine. However, it proceeded to show the text when you don't have an OS installed, but it was strange because my SSD was correctly connected. I went into the bios and everything showed up fine except for the SSD with the OS installed, so I suspect it died when the pc turned on momentarily and shut down. I don't know maybe a short circuit? I tried to smell for anything unusual but I couldn't. Also the SSD was very hot after that and I couldn't hear the fan spinning when I brought it next to my ear, so my explanation is it died. I tried changing the sata cables and the sata power cables nothing changed and my other two drives are working just fine. I was thinking maybe it was caused because I connected it with an extension cable I found like this one:
20230630_230554.jpg

It was already connected like that so I don't know why that would cause it to die but I don't know what to do now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
PC SPECS:
AMD RYZEN 5 5600
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK
CORSAIR VENGEANCE 16GB DDR4 3000MHZ RAM
SANDISK ULTRA II 240GB SSD (this is the one that's probably dead and has Windows installed on it)
CRUCIAL MX500 1TB SSD
WESTERN DIGITAL 2TB HDD
POWERCOLOR RADEON RX 6700 XT 12GB
CORSAIR H100i v2 240MM AIO
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D AIRFLOW EDITION CASE
PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 850W 80 PLUS GOLD

Solution
If you managed to connect the Molex end of the adapter cable on to the PSU cable the wrong way round (difficult but not impossible) then you would have crossed over the 5 and 12V rails with disastrous results.

I had one cheap Molex to Molex Y-adapter cable where the manufacturer had crossed the red and yellow wires at one end, but I spotted it in time.

Problem adapter cables tend to be constructed with moulded SATA. When the SATA end has crimped connections in separate compartments, they're less prone to fail.

You shouldn't have any problems installing Windows 11 if you set your BIOS to boot from UEFI only (no CSM). Your USB installation media must also support UEFI booting. This is the normal option for Windows 11.

If you disable...

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
That adapter should work, but they can be dangerous. Once worked on a pc with one of those used to power up a hard drive. The connector had melted and caught fire inside the case. The connector on the hard drive was melted, there were actually scorch marks inside the case.
Yeah I read about similar cases as yours on the internet yesterday, I guess I was lucky, it must've been pretty scary. Anyway the SSD is done for, so now I will have to install windows on my other ssd. I would like to install Windows 11 but I read that my ssd might not be compatible because of something in the bios set to uefi instead of csm? And the ssd must be changed to a different configuration to support it I don't know something like that. How do I check if it's compatible and what do I do if it's not? Also, should I use DDU now to erase my Nvidia drivers from my previous GTX 1070 or a clean installation of windows is enough on its own? Thanks is advance!

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
If you managed to connect the Molex end of the adapter cable on to the PSU cable the wrong way round (difficult but not impossible) then you would have crossed over the 5 and 12V rails with disastrous results.

I had one cheap Molex to Molex Y-adapter cable where the manufacturer had crossed the red and yellow wires at one end, but I spotted it in time.

Problem adapter cables tend to be constructed with moulded SATA. When the SATA end has crimped connections in separate compartments, they're less prone to fail.

You shouldn't have any problems installing Windows 11 if you set your BIOS to boot from UEFI only (no CSM). Your USB installation media must also support UEFI booting. This is the normal option for Windows 11.

If you disable Legacy/CSM in the BIOS, Windows 11 install should automatically and set the SSD to GPT. Windows 10 can be installed GPT or MBR.

Unless you've tweaked the Windows 11 ISO in Rufus to ignore the requirement for TPM and modern CPUs, you must enable TPM 2.0 in the BIOS to install Windows 11 and have a compatible CPU.

Don't bother removing old video drivers from a used SSD. If you do a clean install of Windows 11 and not an Upgrade/Refresh of your existing Windows, everything will be wiped off the SSD.

Reactions: ProPlayerGR
Solution

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016

If you disable Legacy/CSM in the BIOS, Windows 11 install should automatically and set the SSD to GPT. Windows 10 can be installed GPT or MBR.

Unless you've tweaked the Windows 11 ISO in Rufus to ignore the requirement for TPM and modern CPUs, you must enable TPM 2.0 in the BIOS to install Windows 11 and have a compatible CPU.

Don't bother removing old video drivers from a used SSD. If you do a clean install of Windows 11 and not an Upgrade/Refresh of your existing Windows, everything will be wiped off the SSD.
OK thank you very much. I'm gonna install Windows 11 on the SSD that only had steam games installed on it, so now GPU drivers on it. I know it's gonna erase everything on it but it's alright there's nothing I can do about it anyway, I don't have another pc to transfer the data to another drive.

TRENDING THREADS