[SOLVED] Did I get a bad drive?

gregb1150

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
I've been using a Samsung 850 Evo SSD alongside a WD Black HD, and I’m trying to add a Samsung 970 Evo Plus M2 drive to eventually replace the WD. But when I install the 970 into the motherboard (MSI Z390M), it's detected by the BIOS but doesn't show up in Disk Manager. Event Viewer shows an Error 11 from stornvme with the message “the driver detected a controller error on \Device\RaidPort1”. I don’t have anything configured for RAID, which makes me think that there might be a BIOS setting I need to change, but I’ve tried the obvious ones with no improvement.

Otherwise, I’m inclined to think it’s bad -- I disconnected the other two drives and tried to do a fresh install of Windows on the 970 from a USB stick, and the installer reported no drives detected. Is there anything else I should try before I return it?

Solution
D
test it on another pc if you can. they have usb enclosures for them for about $25 bucks, you could test it through usb to see if it works on yours or other computers.
D

Deleted member 14196

test it on another pc if you can. they have usb enclosures for them for about $25 bucks, you could test it through usb to see if it works on yours or other computers.

Solution

gregb1150

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2013
I tried it in a USB enclosure, and while a drive was detected, the actual storage wasn't. Disk Management showed Disk 1 as Online but with a capacity of 0; Explorer gave me a "not accessible; Incorrect function" error, and chkdsk gave me a "cannot open volume for direct access" error message. Looks like it's a bad drive.