Question Did I get a bad GPU?

Dec 26, 2021
So after waiting for almost a year, I finally got a GPU and built new rig. Problem is when running, Heaven, Furmark, and 3D Mark I can not get the GPU to go above 210 MHz. I have a fresh windows 10 install, I have the latest Nvidea Drivers (I tried both the Game Ready and Studio ready, uninstalled drivers with DDU each time). I have reseated the GPU in the PCIe slot, checked all the PCIe settings in bios, made sure all the MB drivers are correct and even updated the vbios on the card itself. Am I missing something? Or did i just get a bad card after all this waiting? The GOU-z Screenshot was taken after Furmark had been running for 5 minutes.

System Specs
5950 X
32GB of G.Skill Ram
Asus Rog Crosshair Hero VIII
EVGA 3080 TI FTW 3 Ultra Hydro Copper,
EGVA SuperNOVA 850 GA

xhcd184.gif

Are you runing EVGA PX1 software by any chance?

If you do uninstall that, restart your PC (or shut it down and start it all over again ) and try again.

Other than that I would try a different PSU, if you have an extra decent/very good one.

How about if you run games ? Does it also stay at the low clock?

Does this card come with a vbios button?, Have you tried to turn off the PC, remove the power cable from the wall and use the other vbios?

Dec 26, 2021
X1 is not installed, I have an old seasonic 1000 watt osu from my old 980 rig that I get the same results with. Games give the same results 15 frames for a few minutes then dropping dropping down to a 10 fps max. There is no second vbios button that I can find.

Dec 26, 2021
CPU and GPU idle at 26c, CPU sits at 42c under a full load. GPU sits at 30c on the die and hotest part is 44c when running both furmark and 3D Mark. All speeds are currently set to stock nothing has an OC yet. Mobi has latest bios, driver's and chipset software installed, same with CPU bringing the latest microcode updates. I have updated everything I can think of to the lastest driver or firmware.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I suggest installing Precision X1 just to see what info it reports:

You can always remove later.

Dec 26, 2021
Just wanted to follow up. I have not yet had time to install X1 on the computer, but EVGA reached out an confirmed there is an issue with the card and approved an RMA. Looks like it was a bad unit that sneaked through the QA process

Dec 26, 2021
So, I got the replacement EVGA card, its looks to be a 100% different card based on the completely different serial number. But yet I am having the exact same results. The card will stay at a clock speed of 210 MHz with 1 or 2 jumps to 405 Mhz according HWInfo, and the fact I can only get around 20 FPS in 3Dmark. could this be CPU issue? I am at my wits end here, there has to be something that is getting lost. Bad signal, bad communication between the card and something.

Once again specs are below

Ryzen 9 5950X
64GB of G.Skill DDR4 Ram
Asus Rog Crosshair Hero VIII
EVGA 3080 TI FTW 3 Ultra Hydro Copper
samsung 980 pro 1tb
EGVA SuperNOVA 850 GA

xhcd184.gif

GPU-Z during Furmark test

5anIZvF.png

Furmark Test results

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021
Standard High Performance. Is there a specific Advanced setting you want to know more about? I currently have PCI Express > Link State Power Management >Off currently

FoxInFlames

Prominent
Jan 3, 2022
Try adding the application of the program in windows graphics settings (through the windows settings) and set it to 'prefer high performance'?

I'm not sure why the Gpu runs that slow though, is there any 'silent mode' that's enabled somewhere on the GPU? Sorry but I'm not much informative in this area, because i use a laptop :/

Here's a response i found on EVGA's forum regarding a similar GPU though

Sounds like the card is in protection mode (2D clocks).

Have you tried shutting down and unplugging the power cord, and then draining power by holding the power button for 30 seconds?

It might not work, but maybe it will to get the card out of 2D clocks.

Dec 26, 2021
During my first troubleshooting, I borrowed a spare Motherboard from a friend, and had the same issue on a known good board. Though I did use the same CPU and m.2 Storage drive I have a copy of Hiren's on USB somewhere that I can test with later today. I do not have access to another GPU. Getting 1 was hard enough, but the same hardware issue on two different EVGA GPU's feels unlikely

Try adding the application of the program in windows graphics settings (through the windows settings) and set it to 'prefer high performance'?

I'm not sure why the Gpu runs that slow though, is there any 'silent mode' that's enabled somewhere on the GPU? Sorry but I'm not much informative in this area, because i use a laptop :/

Here's a response i found on EVGA's forum regarding a similar GPU though

Sounds like the card is in protection mode (2D clocks).

Have you tried shutting down and unplugging the power cord, and then draining power by holding the power button for 30 seconds?

It might not work, but maybe it will to get the card out of 2D clocks.

There is no Silent mode on this GPU and i just tried you drain the power as suggested, a few times, but not seeing any changes

I'm now wondering if this could this be the CPU not sending a signal to the card? Any way to test that? Is there a diagnostic utility for AMD CPU's?