[SOLVED] Did I get a fake CPU?

Oct 7, 2020
Hi I really need help. I just bought a i9 9900kf from Amazon and when I look at task manager it only shows that it's using 3 cores and 6 threads when it's supposed to have 8 cores and 16 threads. Does anyone know what is going on? I am starting to think that they gave me a defective/fake cpu but I am not sure. I had an i5 9400f and it was working just fine

edit: typo

Last edited:
Solution
If you right click on the cpu graph, you will get an option to see it with logical processors.
If you do not see 16 logical processors, I think you may have a fake.
Another tell is that task manager shows 192kb L1 cache.
My understanding is that a 9900kf has a 8 x 32mb l1 cache or 256kb.
Task manager shows 768kb L2 but 9900kf has 8 x 256kb = 2048kb.
Did it come in a real Intel box that was sealed?
Oct 2, 2020
Press windows (⊞) + R, write: msconfig, go to boot, and click on advanced options. Look for number cores, if its disabled, enable it and select them all. Accept, apply and reboot.

USAFRet

Titan
Press windows (⊞) + R, write: msconfig, go to boot, and click on advanced options. Look for number cores, if its disabled, enable it and select them all. Accept, apply and reboot.
Sorry, but no.
'Disabled' is the default state, in which ALL existing cores are already in play.

Selecting that checkbox and choosing a number can only reduce the number of cores.

Again...that checkbox should be Unselected.
Like this:
eJukHzR.png

Reactions: grecodicaprio
If you right click on the cpu graph, you will get an option to see it with logical processors.
If you do not see 16 logical processors, I think you may have a fake.
Another tell is that task manager shows 192kb L1 cache.
My understanding is that a 9900kf has a 8 x 32mb l1 cache or 256kb.
Task manager shows 768kb L2 but 9900kf has 8 x 256kb = 2048kb.
Did it come in a real Intel box that was sealed?

Last edited:
Reactions: grecodicaprio
Solution
Oct 7, 2020
Guys I fixed it. It wasn't a defect or fake CPU all I had to do was reinstall windows and it fixed my problem. Gave me a head ache throughout the day for such an easy fix smh. I am not sure why this happened maybe the drivers weren't properly installed but I am just happy it works. And yes geofelt it came with the original intel box sealed. Thanks for your help guys :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Eric Baker

ak195

Distinguished
Guys I fixed it. It wasn't a defect or fake CPU all I had to do was reinstall windows and it fixed my problem. Gave me a head ache throughout the day for such an easy fix smh. I am not sure why this happened maybe the drivers weren't properly installed but I am just happy it works. And yes geofelt it came with the original intel box sealed. Thanks for your help guys :)

Yes, Windows/drivers issue. Good