[SOLVED] Did I get a junky power supply?

Furzumz

Reputable
Hello, I picked up a AG-750M but one of my friends said it looks like a junky PSU.

Is this thing gonna fry my computer or should I be good?

It's powering a 3900x and a 2070 super, a hard drive + SSD and 5 case fans. Haven't had any issues thus far

Solution
It's mediocre. It's the same platform as this AG-650M that was reviewed.

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2018/07/16/apexgaming-ag-650m-650w-power-supply/

Is it the worst thing ever? Probably not, though they cheaped out on anything wouldn't get them the efficiency badge and it's made by a bargain basement manufacturer (Deer/Solytech). But at least the 80 Plus isn't faked, which is common among the worst of the worst. It might be acceptable on a cheaper PC, but there's zero good reason to pair this with a 2070 Super and a 3900X. I'd absolutely return this.
From what I read, it's a decent quality PSU for the price. It's manufactured by another company with a history of budget to mid-end power supplies. The fact it claims peak draws of 950 watts, and has a 10 year warranty suggest that it is quite reliable.
I wouldn't be too worried about your choice

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Is it the worst thing ever? Probably not, though they cheaped out on anything wouldn't get them the efficiency badge and it's made by a bargain basement manufacturer (Deer/Solytech). But at least the 80 Plus isn't faked, which is common among the worst of the worst. It might be acceptable on a cheaper PC, but there's zero good reason to pair this with a 2070 Super and a 3900X. I'd absolutely return this.

Reactions: King_V
Solution

Furzumz

Reputable

I don't think I can return it. Its past amazon's return date and I'm broke as hell after the upgrades :/

Should I save up and pick up a new one and use this one for now? Or should I not even risk it until I can get a better one?

Also does anyone know how much power I'd need for a 2070 super and 3900x? I've been told 750 is more than enough but wanted a more specific answer so I know what I should shoot for in the future

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I don't think I can return it. Its past amazon's return date and I'm broke as hell after the upgrades :/

Should I save up and pick up a new one and use this one for now? Or should I not even risk it until I can get a better one?

Also does anyone know how much power I'd need for a 2070 super and 3900x? I've been told 750 is more than enough but wanted a more specific answer so I know what I should shoot for in the future

It's not in the dumpster-on-fire tier, so it's probably OK to use until you can get something better (and you really should, it's the most important part of a build). I would refrain from doing any playing with overclocking and the like, however. Treat it your PC like a car you're borrowing from a friend, so no road trips across the country at high speeds.

Furzumz

Reputable
It's not in the dumpster-on-fire tier, so it's probably OK to use until you can get something better (and you really should, it's the most important part of a build). I would refrain from doing any playing with overclocking and the like, however. Treat it your PC like a car you're borrowing from a friend, so no road trips across the country at high speeds.

I never mess with overclocking. The only overclocking going on is AMD's and nvidia's "turbo boost" thingy that's enabled out of the box

Thanks for the help guys, I'll try to nab a better power supply as soon as I can. I'm angry at myself for not doing better research but live and learn and all that

TRENDING THREADS