Question Did I get a lemon 5600x?

insanelyorange

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hello, been having a tonne of issues with my PC. Long story short, mainly during gaming I'll get audio glitches and will sometimes have my PC freeze up with the audio looping. Sometimes I see drive usage spike to 100% on all drives and can see applications loose internet on my other monitor.
Sometimes it BSODs my PC and I get memory related dump files. The crashing/freezing is fairly rare but when it rains it pours. When it happens once, it'll happen repeatedly. I swapped out my ram (was planning to anyway) and the issue still persisted. I recently ran MemTest86 from a bootable drive and it failed the test with 137 errors.

9jpLfAK.png

9KiKedT.png

I know nothing about whats shown here. Is this proof that I've bought a lemon CPU or is it possible it's a board issue? I have a new board on the way.

" I recently ran MemTest86 from a bootable drive and it failed the test with 137 errors. "

Until you get that squared away, there is little point of continuing more arduous/time-consuming stability tests...

Try lowering RAM clocks.....if you have 3200 MHz spec RAM, try that (or even 2933 MHz, etc.), vice jumping to an even higher XMP profile that is an OC, many of which require higher RAM voltage anyway.... Although 5600X is better than earlier generations with higher clocked RAM, that does not mean every CPU with every mainboard is going to be successful with every RAM kit....

insanelyorange

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Run each stick individually in Memtest, looking for any obvious defects....if one passes and another fails at 3200 MHz, you've found an issue...

I kept them all in the XMP profile I had before @3600mhz and when testing them one stick at a time I found that one stick of ram in particular was causing the errors. I didn't do a full 4 passes for the Ram aside from one "good" stick but the "bad" stick had failures in the first 2 passes. The other 2 "good" sticks I let run for 2 passes (30min) and they were fine.

I'll do another memtest overnight tonight to double check the 3 good ones are working well all together.
My ram isn't on my motherboards supported ram list, not sure if that's worth noting.

Last edited:

insanelyorange

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
With all 3 good ram sticks in I ran Memtest and no errors were found. I'm still getting BSODs with different error messages and stuttering audio though. Not sure if it's worth continuing to post info here or start a new thread after I test on a different motherboard.

TRENDING THREADS