Question Did i get a lemon 9600k

imakehate

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Good evening, I am working with a 9600k on an Asus z390 rog strix mobo. It has been awhile since I have overclocked, the last time I did, it was a 3570k @ 4.4Ghz low temps and voltage. So I have manually set the cpu core ratio at 51, 50, 49, and 47 and I get the whea uncorrectable error randomly. We doing it manually, the only other setting I change is the negative offset to 10 just in case my PC gets overloaded. I can run different stress tests and everything will be fine, the PC crashes randomly with that error. A lot of times it is when I am playing games. Ps, I have a 2060 and all of my drivers are up to date. I have been reading that people who receive this error need to apply more voltage?? Is this right? I just let the mobo do the work. Even when I stress tests, my temps never go above 70. I am using a corsair h60i. I have a few days to exchange the processor for a new one. Not going to tell them I have overclocked it, the salesman actually told me not to tell them... I just want to get my money's worth. Any help would be appreciated.

Chrushop

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
I think you need to Sync All Cores so your core clock ratio should just be increased to 50 one time to apply 5ghz to all of them, you should be doing Sync All Cores and increasing it 1 clock at a time, 47 i.e. all core clocks at 4.7ghz and then stress testing, increasing voltage if it fails

imakehate

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
I forgot to imply that I am syncing all cores. I have either done it manually and only touched the negative offset, or I have used the AI and it normally takes it to 5Ghz on three cores and 4.9 on the other three, but the temps are always fine during stress testing. Do you think my cpu isnt getting enough voltage when it needs it the most since it normally only happens when I'm gaming? It ha ssd happened once right after booting up, but it has done it during division and Metro Exodus multiple times. Thanks.

Chrushop

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
Yeah I would be increasing the voltage to try get all cores to 5.0, I'm no expert as I can't even be bothered overclocking my 9900k just fyi. But you'd want to look up the max voltage allowable and try stay 0.2V down from it. Check Cinebench to make sure you're getting good gains.

I got mine to 5 at one stage and just figured the extra 50 or 100 Cinebench points wasn't worth it just yet at least.

Have you increased that IIC LOAD thing aswell? Up to like, 6 or 7 out of 10?

imakehate

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
I saw the Ram profiles thing, but I dont think I touched that unless the AI optimized did... I haven't messed with the IIC load, I will have to check it out. Normally if I set the ratio manually, on the right side of the screen the mobo will tell me what the non avx and avx max voltages will be and the only time it was over 1.4v is when I was overclocking all cores to 51, but it was in the thousandths place so it wasnt much.

imakehate

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Thanks for your help. I ended up doing some research and I am happy with the outcome. I managed to pull off 5.0Ghz on all cores, with my negative avx ratio at 3. I ended up successful on Prime95 for several tests on each core without any errors and my max voltage ar 5.0Ghz is 1.39 and my max on 4.7Ghz is 2.8. The highest temps I reached when running Prime95 was 81c. Not too bad. I could prob use a better water cooler, I might upgrade later.

Chrushop

Prominent
Mar 2, 2019
That sounds pretty good, all cores at 5.0 is the expected max for these I think eh, sorry I couldn't be of more help, I'll probably look into over clocking mine more seriously if I get a next gen RTX card, don't think there's much point for me just yet. Was hoping we'd bump it enough to get advice from a pro

imakehate

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Speaking of RTX, I picked up the ASUS 2060 ROGStrix card and I am pretty happy with it. I adjust the LLC to 5 instead of 6 so that my voltage qouldnt overshoot what I set it at, I'm going to mess with it again today and slowly remove the negative offset to see if i can get all cores to run at 5Ghz on non avx workloads be my voltage was hitting 1.39 even when my clock was at 4.7, so I am going to try that. I have yet to play any games, but if they dont freeze I'd say I'll be fine. I was gonna exchange the 9600k for the 9700k, but i might hold off since i figured it out.

imakehate

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Decreased my negative offset to 2 so my cpu runs at 4.8 on avx and 5.0 on non avx and LLC is on 5 so my cpu voltage doesnt droop now overshoot. Max temps during prime 95 are 77. Very happy with the results. Now just to oc the Ram and gpu