Did I get a used E8400 processor from Newegg?

rickpatbrown

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
I just received my E8400 today :)

The factory seal stickers were still on the box. Upon inspection of the heatspreader on the processor, I noticed scratch marks in a rectangular pattern. It looks like a heat sink was on top of the processor at some point.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Does Intel test each processor? Could this be from their testing?

I can't imagine that Newegg would send me a used chip and charge for a new one. This is why I buy from them and not other online stores.

I imagine that I'll just install the processor and see how it goes. No harm, no foul. I'm concerned though that I might get a chip that doesn't clock as high as I would like. Than I'd be constantly thinking about weather someone returned this chip or not. I realize however that I can't ethically return a chip that doesn't clock as high as I would like.

Post pics!

rickpatbrown

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
Here's the picture
CPUs004.jpg

CPUs005.jpg

kellytm3

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Below the writing on my E8400 I noticed some scratches running from side to side,but it doesnt seem to affect my cpu.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

Looking at your pictures that is quite clearly the mark from the processor ID stamp...
You got to be kidding with the used CPU idea... Why would anyone install a heatsink the size of a postage stamp (Intel dual-core processor heatspreaders are already real small these days!!)

Or maybe not with all those other AMD fanboi threads about returning E8400's due to the fact they overheat - just kidding!!

Anyway it's time to rub all those score marks off 'n' lap it boi!! Just don't get it mixed up with an E2180 when it has a mirror surface!!

Bob

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Everyone is talking about lapping, but does it really make a difference? Wouldn't the thermal compound fill the creases anyway? Basically, is it really worth grinding your cpu, and, obviously, vioding warranty, since they can see it clearly? :p

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
:oops:. o O (forgot to tag on... I'm against lapping. Those poor CPU's, getting skinned)

I'm getting great temps on my new Q6600. I have it OC at 2.8ghz right now, been running prime95 for about 4 hours. The CPU/HS are not lapped, and temps:

C0 - 47C
C1 - 47C
C2 - 46C
C3 - 46C

Just get your system together and see what it can do. :D

rickpatbrown

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
I'm not worried about the scratches She'll be liquid cooled. I'm worried about my overclock and some little kid in the stock room pulling a fast one on me. I figured they were from the factory. Thanks for the reasurance.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

Yes, yes, YES!! Even if you are watercooling the closer you get to a direct metal to metal bond the lower the temps. If you spread the Arctic MX2 or AS5 really thin on a lapped CPU/heatsink you really do get better thermal transfer and thus lower temperatures... Its just basic thermodynamics. The ideal would be a direct metal to metal bond with no airgaps at all - very hard to achieve in the real world - unfortunately!!

Bob

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

It only matters to a few people and the real gain is next to nothing...some people even remove the IHS and run phase cooling dirrectly on the IC's/core's,but they are into OC contests.

Correct preinstall cleaning (even new parts) and correct TIM install along with case flow patterns is the key.

stabgotham

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006

Heck yeah lap it! Lapping really works...my PC is living proof!

gow87

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
i only ever lapped a 2500 Barton core a long long while ago. as for the posibility of damage... its a daft piece of metal stuck to your cpu, your not actually lapping the core here so why not? and jhust out of interest, have any of you ever had a fualty processor?? i'm yet to see a faulty one and i work in pc repair every day, its not a common fault