Did I get ripped?

Skyler_14

Prominent
Jul 1, 2017
Hello everyone, I'm new to PC gaming and I feel I may have gotten ripped off. I went over to Xidax.com because a buddy of mine told me it was a good website and since I didn't know what I was talking about, looking for, or knew what could go together properly, they would build the best computer possible with the budget you gave them. Currently I'm running with (I think that's the correct PC gaming term):
MOBO- MSI B250M Bazooka
Processor- Intel Dual Core i3-7100
Memory- Xidax Extreme DDR4 2666MHz Memory - 16GB
Power Supply- Corsair CX550W
Optical Drive- 24x DVD-RW Combo
Graphics Card- NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti 4GB
Sound Card- Onboard Audio
HDD- Seagate Barracuda 1TB - 7200RPM 3.5" HDD
CPU Cooling- Thermaltake Contac Silent 12 CPU Cooler
CPU Paste- Standard CPU Thermal Paste
GPU Paste-Standard Graphics Card
OS- Windows 10 Home Premium 64-Bit
My budget was $1000, give or take. Did I get ripped off? I usually have about 59-71 FPS but I will get back to back to back lag spikes to the point where I'm not even having fun anymore and terribly rubber-banding on Rust. What should I upgrade to increase performance and eliminate a lot of lag, I'd like the game to look nice as well. Do you guys have any tips on increasing FPS just by messing with some settings? I play through steam, I don't know if there's any software that can increase my FPS/performance on there so if you guys have any tips/tricks you know of, fill me in! All answers are greatly appreciated and even more so if you talk to me as if I'm your clueless little brother/sister who's very interested in learning. Thanks for reading this far if you did and thanks for your time! But before I go, I bought a new headset, Steelseries Arctis 7 wireless headset and for the love of God I can not figure out why no one can hear me. If you can answer that too, it'd be great to kill two birds with one stone. Have a great day!

Solution
I'm not overly familiar with xidax and assuming you meant u.s. dollars? If not then some currency exchanges will need to be implemented. Here's basically a list of your parts. The ram in this build is a little faster, the hard drive space is twice the storage capacity and the case is likely nicer than what's included with a prebuilt pc. No need for a cpu cooler for a locked i3 cpu, it comes with a stock cooler more than capable. This build doesn't include that cooler.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.59 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - B250M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory:...
I'm not overly familiar with xidax and assuming you meant u.s. dollars? If not then some currency exchanges will need to be implemented. Here's basically a list of your parts. The ram in this build is a little faster, the hard drive space is twice the storage capacity and the case is likely nicer than what's included with a prebuilt pc. No need for a cpu cooler for a locked i3 cpu, it comes with a stock cooler more than capable. This build doesn't include that cooler.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.59 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - B250M BAZOOKA Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair - 600T White Graphite ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($37.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.69 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $773.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-02 09:37 EDT-0400

There are $50 worth of rebates which if ignored (not everyone wants to mess with them) brings the total to $823. If using a much cheaper case, something more basic than a nicer aftermarket case in the $50 range, the price would be closer to the $773 price as shown with rebates and with a $100 case. I don't think you got 'ripped off', did you spend the whole $1000 on it? Premade systems will often use cheaper cases to save money and if it's already built and covered by an overall warranty vs individual parts warranties that will cost a bit extra. Maybe not a 'great' price but not necessarily a ripoff either.

This is the price for parts you'd have to install yourself and install and configure windows.

Solution
Not sure it's $500 worth of parts, just priced out a brand new build following those parts as closely as possible without specifics like brand/model of ram, case etc. The difference in price on the hdd was only $10-20 at most. Even with mir's it came to over $750.

You can't really touch 16gb of ddr4 for under $100, the cpu/mobo are pretty well fixed prices for those models. Even going with the absolute cheapest 1050ti, $100 for ram, $50 for a 1tb hdd, the cost is at $500 in parts and that doesn't include a case, power supply, dvd drive or copy of windows.