Question Did I just create a Network Loop..or something worse?

EgonM

Commendable
Aug 5, 2017
Hey Guys,
I´m in day two of my little networking experiment and I´m not sure wether what I did is OK the way I did it or not.

I started setting up an FTP Server on an Win10 machine using the onboard solution provided by Microsoft.
The Server is ment to be accessed by two other machienes via Filezilla.
The problem is that the Computer acting as a server has a cheap Wireless Adapter wich only gets a weak signal from my router one floor below.
One of the PC´s that shall access the Server however got a pretty beefy Wireless Adapter wich gets a pretty good signal.
So I took a second Router with Built in Wifi and shared the Internet comming from the PC with the beefy Wireless Adapter via Lan to the second Router so it can act as a switch.
I can now hook up all my devices via Lan to the Switch....execept the one sharing its internet connection to the switch since it got its internet signal from the main router.
To access the FTP Server without port forwarding I had to use an second wireless adapter and hook it up to the PCthat shares the Internet to the second router and let it conect itself to the newly generated wifi in the Network provided by the second router.
This way I can access the FTP Server without a problem.

I just want to know now wether i created a loop this way or if there could be other problems with this setup

Thanks in advance for the replies =)

Last edited:

EgonM

Commendable
Aug 5, 2017
Hey,
thanks for the quick reply
No I didnt disable DHCP on the second router....I think this might be an error
I was thinking about a network bridge but didnt wanted to play around with static IP´s and stuff.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey,
thanks for the quick reply
No I didnt disable DHCP on the second router....I think this might be an error
I was thinking about a network bridge but didnt wanted to play around with static IP´s and stuff.
Windows does not work well with multiple default gateways. With multiple simultaneous networks, you generally have to do static for the network(s) that do not have internet connectivity.

EgonM

Commendable
Aug 5, 2017
Okay
So if I want so follow my Initial plan with Internet Sharing from wireless to LAN i should disable DHCP on the router I use as a switch and let the PC who shares Internet conection act as a DHCP Distributor as it ist intended if you share just to a single PC

EgonM

Commendable
Aug 5, 2017
Thanks!
Will do that as soon as Im back home

The Seconds router in general should just act as a switch to distribute the shared Internet connection from the PC with the good WiFi adapter

I think I made a mistake in the router I want to turn into a switch
Forgot to disable DHCP and a few other things

Will See If it works out

EgonM

Commendable
Aug 5, 2017
Okay...I did manage to get it working but not stable however
What I try to do is the following

I got an Braodband Modem with internal Routing functionality as it is mainstream by todays standards
This Router generates a network for all connected devices
In my room however I dont get the best out of the Wifi signal
I got a total of 3 machines and one of them is used as a FTP Server
The FTP Server has no own wireless network conection because the adapter in use is not the best one
So i decided to create a seperate network using a router wich I configured as a switch with no own DHCP
I tryed to provide a network connection to the other devices using the bridge method and the ICS method
None of them worked properly
I just want the FTP Server to be in the same network so I can adress it without port forwarding

I also already tried to get it working via Soft AP in Windows but one of the devices wont connect to the shared network since it states it cant get in contact with the DHCP server
I would rather use this method since its much easyier but I cant get this to work either

What do you suggest me to do?
Just buy a second strong Wireless Adapter?