Question Did I just destroy my new RX 6800 ?[Solved]

Feb 6, 2023
I finally saved some money to renew my old pc, and got a rx6800 gpu. I thought my old cooler master N300 case was compatible with rx6800, and I somehow slotted the card in, but there was no video, i took it out and i saw this, then i realized that it doesn't fit with the case just by a tiny bit.Did I just destroyed my new gpu ?

The contacts as far as I can see looks good on the 1 side, I can't see on the back side. Might have to take a closer look at the motherboards PCIE slot see if any pins inside are bent and out of wack from not installing the card straight into the slot, by any chance can you take a picture of the slot you have the card in?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Doesn't look good. Several PCI-E pins are damaged badly, while at least one of the pins is almost completely gone.

Better contact the store where you bought it and ask if you can make RMA claim. While you may not be able to replace the GPU outright (depends on warranty policy), you could perhaps negotiate a deal for repairing the GPU.

usually if using PC part picker you will get a warning about a card.

Pcpp is well known among enthusiasts. Not so much for common folk.

Feb 6, 2023
Doesn't look good. Several PCI-E pins are damaged badly, while at least one of the pins is almost completely gone.

Better contact the store where you bought it and ask if you can make RMA claim. While you may not be able to replace the GPU outright (depends on warranty policy), you could perhaps negotiate a deal for repairing the GPU.

Pcpp is well known among enthusiasts. Not so much for common folk.
I just took a good look at the pins and they seemed to be fine, then again I might not know what I'm looking at. The shop where I bought probably don't fix them. If it's fixable, at least it's not the of the world for me. Thank you.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I just took a good look at the pins and they seemed to be fine, then again I might not know what I'm looking at. The shop where I bought probably don't fix them.

The angle of 1st image left me with impression that a corner had chipped off;

XtObmbC.png

Edit:
As of what to do next;
Take out your MoBo, breadboard it (on any cardboard box), slot GPU back in and look if it works. This way, there isn't no PC case in the way.

Feb 6, 2023
The angle of 1st image left me with impression that a corner had chipped off;

XtObmbC.png

Edit:
As of what to do next;
Take out your MoBo, breadboard it (on any cardboard box), slot GPU back in and look if it works. This way, there isn't no PC case in the way.
Can the damage to the bottom of the pci where the orange has scratched off and gray/metallic can be seen have any effect on the card, i could try inserting the gpu out of the case and check again tomorrow as its very late where i am. I also thought maybe for some reason my psu wasn't enough, but pc part picker showed no problems

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Can the damage to the bottom of the pci where the orange has scratched off and gray/metallic can be seen have any effect on the card

Yes, it can. When GPU is socketed, there is a possibility that within the slot itself, two pins are bridged between each other, which should not be bridged.

Based on PCI-E x16 slot pinout, B10, B11, A10 and A11 pins are within the affected area. A10 and B10 are standby 3.3V pins. A11 is PCI Reset pin and B11 is Wake# pin (i don't know for what B11 pin is).
PCI-E x16 pinout: https://docs.nvidia.com/networking/display/BlueField2DPUENUG/Pin+Description

It's worrying, since the damage is around power delivery pins.

i could try inserting the gpu out of the case and check again tomorrow

Do try that in better conditions (breadboarding).

Feb 6, 2023
Ok so apparently the gpu can fit its just tricky to get it in.
So i tried to connect my old gpu and it turns on and works, but theres still no signal. Both gpus show no signal, on both of the motherboard slots.
I checked if the ram is in place and one was kinda out i guess, I managed to push it in a little, but no change. Could it be that my new motherboard is faulty ?
Here is how it looks :

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I noticed i haven't connected mb power connections on the top left number 5. Maybe that's the cause, ill try it later.

12400, CPU draws 117W Max, works just fine with the primary 8-pin EPS only which is around 235W (can't remember exact number). You don't need the second one (the 4pin EPS) as the processor isn't drawing that much.

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How do you officially know the 6800 works? Same goes with your old graphics card and how you described it working but no display, so how do you officially know the 6800 works? Tried it in another machine i guess? or had it tested to guarantee this? Not saying the cards are faulty but both are observing the same symptoms obviously which means it's probably something else. Hopefully something really simple.

You are definitely using the graphics card video port right? You won't be the first or last but motherboard video ports are usually disabled when a graphics card is installed. No shame if you have mistakenly done this, it would be comical though but that's about it lol.

If not then just double check power connections between parts and psu if modular. Check monitor is on correct input. Not using any adapters for some old monitor?

List all pc specs and age of psu. If this is a new build elaborate where the old gpu had worked, this current pc or elsewhere.

Feb 6, 2023
How do you officially know the 6800 works? Same goes with your old graphics card and how you described it working but no display, so how do you officially know the 6800 works? Tried it in another machine i guess? or had it tested to guarantee this? Not saying the cards are faulty but both are observing the same symptoms obviously which means it's probably something else. Hopefully something really simple.

You are definitely using the graphics card video port right? You won't be the first or last but motherboard video ports are usually disabled when a graphics card is installed. No shame if you have mistakenly done this, it would be comical though but that's about it lol.

If not then just double check power connections between parts and psu if modular. Check monitor is on correct input. Not using any adapters for some old monitor?

List all pc specs and age of psu. If this is a new build elaborate where the old gpu had worked, this current pc or elsewhere.
I had it tested to guarantee it. My old one worked a week ago with the old specs, and in this build it turned on and the fans were running. Yes im using the gpu port. I think i checked all the psu connections, but i'll do it again later. Here are the specs, the old pc was 9 years old.

CPUCPU CoolerMotherboardMemoryStorageGPUCasePSUMonitor
Newi5-12400FBE QUIET PURE ROCK 2Asus TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS WIFICORSAIR DDR4 3600MHz 32GB SameSAPPHIRE Radeon RX 6800 16 GBSameSamegigabyte m27q
Oldi5-4460StockMSI B85M-E45DIMM 8GB PC14900 DDR3/FURY BLUE KIT2 KINGSTON x2
DDR3 Kingston HyperX Fury White 8GB 1600MHz CL10 x2
Seagate SV35, 3.5'', 1TB

SSD Samsung 840 Evo Basic 120GB

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GBCooler Master N300, Midi TowerCooler Master ATX G600AOC I2369V LED

Last edited:

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for that. It all looks good/compatible. Psu side of things im not so sure but that's too early to tell right now and you should at least be getting a display at post/bios. Tried spamming delete key soon as you turn it on for at least 10 seconds?

Your system is powering on and staying that way until you force it off? Not shutting down itself eventually? So seems system is passing post just nothing on screen. It is a bit odd.

Feb 6, 2023
I haven't but i'll try when i get back
Thanks for that. It all looks good/compatible. Psu side of things im not so sure but that's too early to tell right now and you should at least be getting a display at post/bios. Tried spamming delete key soon as you turn it on for at least 10 seconds?

Your system is powering on and staying that way until you force it off? Not shutting down itself eventually? So seems system is passing post just nothing on screen. It is a bit odd.
I haven't but I'll try when I get back. Yes it powers on and runs indefinitely, just nothing on the screen. I think I'll reassemble everything and see if something changes.

Reactions: boju

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It does appear it'll be something simple. System not powering off is kind of a good sign.

Just making sure, the processor that is in it is certainly 12th gen yeah? Not 13th requiring bios update? Id say you did get 12th gen but just leaving nothing to chance.

Feb 6, 2023
You are right, the solution is very simple, the gpu didn't click when I was inserting it at first and now it did and it works. In my defense it goes in relatively easy on the bottom slot, but I had to force it quite a bit on the top one, to the point where it didn't feel right. There's so little space to work in there. Not sure if its my case, but I'll look into swapping to another one.
Anyways thank you all for help. I did not destroy my gpu :)