Question Did I just fry my mobo and cpu after activating XMP?

Oct 22, 2022
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting (and english isn't my first language) so bear with me.
So, this was my config:
-i7 7700
-Gigabyte GA-H110-H
-Gigabyte GTX 1060 6Gb
-Corsair Vengeance Lpx 2x8Gb 2400MHz
-400w CoolerMaster PSU

I had bought all these parts all the way back in March 2017. They had been running smoothly ever since until 2 days ago when I decided to activate the XMP Profile option in the BIOS. I thought my mobo supported it because it said 2400/2133 on the website. Right after activating it, my computer tried to reboot (fans and rgb were on), didn't send any signal to the monitor and then 10 seconds later turn off and reboot. This loop would keep going forever if I didn't flip the PSU switch.

I've read numerous posts already, with a folk having the exact same problem. I've tried reseating everything, replugging, resetting cmos both jumping and removing battery. Nothing worked.
Today I brought my pc to my local shop and we tried both my mobo with a functioning CPU (same socket) and it didn't boot. Also tried my CPU on a functioning mobo (same socket) and it didn't boot.
So, is there anything else to try before buying some new hardware or I've indeed fried both my cpu and mobo after ONLY turning XMP profile on?

Edit: I think the exact model of my PSU is the CoolerMaster 400w Elite V3 (but i'm not 100% confident). Btw, forgot to mention that I also plugged the system to a 750w 80 plus bronze functioning PSU and it didn't post either (tested back at the local store)

Last edited:

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
You just have to let it reboot a couple of times, it's resetting automatically if the OC/XMP is faulty.

I've never heard of XMP P1 (Profile 2 is more aggressive OC/unstable) bricking/frying components, never.

DSzymborski

Titan
That PSU is horrifying; just because you tried something (hopefully better, Bronze is an efficiency rating, not a quality rating) doesn't really mean all that much. If the PSU fried something, you could use the best PSU in the world and it wouldn't help.

Any reputable shop would have been able to test each component separately.

Oct 22, 2022
That PSU is horrifying; just because you tried something (hopefully better, Bronze is an efficiency rating, not a quality rating) doesn't really mean all that much. If the PSU fried something, you could use the best PSU in the world and it wouldn't help.

Any reputable shop would have been able to test each component separately.
Yeah I know, it was just a budget buy because i didn't have any money at the time and it was meant as a replacement for my previous 650w 80bronze psu that stopped working around 2 years ago. Isn't it weird that the PSU fried both things right after activating xmp when it had been working just fine for the last 2 years or so?

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah I know, it was just a budget buy because i didn't have any money at the time and it was meant as a replacement for my previous 650w 80bronze psu that stopped working around 2 years ago. Isn't it weird that the PSU fried both things right after activating xmp when it had been working just fine for the last 2 years or so?

You don't know it's been working fine. You just know it's been on, which is a very different thing. And, again, Bronze is not a quality rating; the previous PSU could have been even worse.

I've never seen just turning on XMP fry a component. I have seen junk PSUs fry components and you have a junk PSU. Without any kind of actual testing, I know which one is more likely.

Reactions: ikernelpro4
Oct 22, 2022
You don't know it's been working fine. You just know it's been on, which is a very different thing. And, again, Bronze is not a quality rating; the previous PSU could have been even worse.

I've never seen just turning on XMP fry a component. I have seen junk PSUs fry components and you have a junk PSU. Without any kind of actual testing, I know which one is more likely.
Well, I'll take your word for that one. In all my research I haven't seen anyone saying it happened to them either. So then, what do you recommend going forward? I was thinking of just buying a 11400f and a B560 mobo as replacements but now I gotta consider buying another PSU as well. Which psu do you think is great quality to not further damage my system?

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Well, I'll take your word for that one. In all my research I haven't seen anyone saying it happened to them either. So then, what do you recommend going forward? I was thinking of just buying a 11400f and a B560 mobo as replacements but now I gotta consider buying another PSU as well. Which psu do you think is great quality to not further damage my system?
Maybe you can get in touch with coolermaster, if the PSU really did fry your components (which I doubt), then you should have a warranty claim.

DSzymborski

Titan
Five years is long past any warranty claim. Fat chance getting Cooler Master to pay in any case.

Clearly something is fried. Since none of us have access to the PC, do you not think a junky, group-regulated PSU is a more likely suspect than XMP settings?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Default reset is 3x. So even turning on XMP, bios will revert to last known viable boot settings on the 4th try to boot, which did not include XMP enabled.

Op tried his cpu in a different pc. Didn't work. Only conclusion that makes any sense is the memory controller is toast. Whether that was due to lousy outputs from a lousy psu generally wreaking havoc and weakening the mc, and the inclusion of xmp putting it over the edge is anyone's guess, but imho the cpu is toast if the mc has kicked the bucket.

Any platform using that same psu at this point can look forward to the same abuse.

Latest posts