Question Did I just get a bad 5700xt?

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
So I finally settled on a Gigabyte Gaming OC 5700xt instead of a 2070 super. Bought it 2 days ago, installed it right away, and couldn't boot my PC....just constant BSOD as soon as windows loads. I managed to fix that by setting my bios to PCIE gen 3 instead of auto...was super stable after that.

Then I started putting it through the paces on some games and it was getting quite hot. Was idling around 50 degrees, GPU got up close to 90, and the junction up to 104. I know these things run hot, but that's like 20 degrees over what I've seen in reviews. I boosted the fan curve and it definitely lowered the temps, but the fans were LOUD and whiny. I decided to put up with it for a bit and game some more but then I just started getting crazy texture pop ins constantly...like there was a point in gears 5 when I thought something was going to pop out of the ground and attack me....but no, it was just textures loading. (Looked like giant sandworms or something, it was actually kind of cool looking lol)

I've had zero issues like this with my GTX 1080 so I know it's the card...is this just to be expected with the 5700xt? Dude at the store said they've been seeing high temps like that quite commonly and that they've had a ton of returns.

How can people be recommending this card in this state? Seems to me you get what you pay for with Nvidia...you put it in and it just works.

Now the sucky part is that no one has any damn 2070 supers in stock. I'm almost contemplating a 2080 super.

savage8190

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
So a little update on this. I installed a 2080 super last night and the weird texture issues were still there. I guess it was just a weird issue in gears 5, just in one particular area (I replayed the exact same part with the different card).

SO...aside from the weird install issue and the loud cooling the 5700 XT was doing what it was supposed to. I would consider giving another card with better cooling a try...like the Nitro+ or Red Devil. I might pick one up to give it a whirl and maybe return the 2080 if it works well.