[SOLVED] Did I just mess up my new motherboard?

Feb 20, 2021
Hey all,

I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to messing around in computers. I recently received a beefy system from a custom PC company and was having issues with performance.

They had me install a cpu cooler (which I did not want to do) however I pulled that off pretty easily. Only problem is I was later asked to take out the GPU to reseat it, I didn't realize how tight the cooler pipes were against it and I had to rotate the card out (which scratched the motherboard) Hearing that sound made me so sad, but I had no idea what I was doing.
View: https://imgur.com/a/9YQ9h7V
<---- you can see them here :(

So my question is did I just destroy my new motherboard and should I get a new one installed asap. Or is it just surface scratches and if it starts up... not to worry.

Thanks!

Solution

So my question is did I just destroy my new motherboard and should I get a new one installed asap. Or is it just surface scratches and if it starts up... not to worry.

Thanks!

It looks like just surface scratches to me, although the picture isn't quite good enough to tell if any tiny chip components might have been knocked off. I'm with @Djoza : if it starts up and works OK then go for it and don't look back.

And don't knock yourself up about it. It's extremely common to find scratches back in that area of the board, against the expansion slots, from fitting in cards like GPU's. It happens to the best.

Thanks!

It looks like just surface scratches to me, although the picture isn't quite good enough to tell if any tiny chip components might have been knocked off. I'm with @Djoza : if it starts up and works OK then go for it and don't look back.

And don't knock yourself up about it. It's extremely common to find scratches back in that area of the board, against the expansion slots, from fitting in cards like GPU's. It happens to the best.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Solution

I forgot to take out the expansion slot for my GPU when i swapped case's, and being a extremely inteligent person i decided to go full send and scratched my mobo a bit.
No real damage,just a surface scratch.

Last edited: