Did I just short circuit my motherboard? Someone please help me I can't sleep

Mar 6, 2018
This question has probably been asked by many, still, help me.

So I was at my local computer shop asking them to update my motherboard BIOS since mine is a Gigabyte AB350M-HD3 and it doesn't support my Ryzen 3 2200g out of the box. Annnnnnnndd the employee might have fucked it up because when he pulled a heatsink up, the CPU came with it, with the lever(or what the hell that was) locked still in place. I was very worried about my CPU, but the pins looks straight and alright. Then, as we tried to boot the system up with the new CPU (Ryzen 3 1200), nothing happened, except the mobo LED indicated that it is powered, but other than that, nothing. No sound, no nothing. Then a little poof sound came out from somewhere. The guy pulled out the plug immediately(he was fast lol). He said he smelled something burnt, and insisted that we should not continue fixing it, or else it might be worse. At the moment I'm scared of doing anything with my computer right now. What just happened? Did my MOBO die?
Or did my PSU die? (I did a little test and it might seem so). Also, did others components die too?
What happened to my HDD and RAM? Can somebody help me out pls.

This looks like your PSU died when you tried to turn machine on with R3 1200 in. It is possible such event could damage other components, any number of them. But obviously no way for anybody to tell if and which of them got damaged without checking. Without knowing model of your PSU it is even not possible to say what are the chances. Either way you have to start with putting in new PSU and try if it works - if it don't, you will have to swap next components until it starts.

Mar 6, 2018

aight thank you sir. The thing is I have to wait like 3 days before I can make sure about anything.

also I tried connecting my PSU to the MOBO (without RAM, HDD, and CPU) and tried to power it on, nothing happened. So, dead?

Also, did it cause by the MOBO or PSU? I need to know this for the warranty I have with the MOBO. Thanks again.

Did you made a paperclip test on PSU? If it fails the test, you know PSU is dead, but that does not say anything on motherboard. If PSU passes this test, it could still be PSU problem or motherboard problem. You will not be able to say whether motherboard works before you test is with PSU that is 100% known to work.

Mar 6, 2018

I see. So I have to wait it out until the stores open again. Thanks for the help good sir

jacobweaver800

Respectable
Dec 15, 2017

It sounds like the PSU may have died and taken the motherboard with it. Its a decent board and I don't think it would have killed your RAM or the CPU but depending on the result of the paperclip test you might have to replace the motherboard. Just hold off on that until we know for sure if the PSU is dead.