[SOLVED] Did I just short my motherboard? or do I have to replace my psu? Help

Nov 17, 2021
I wanted to quickly switch some rgb wire in my pc. Like a dumb*ss I figured it would be okay to do it while it was turned on. The metal end touched the motherboard (between the gpu and the mobo: around here https://ibb.co/B4MtmGH) and now my pc won't turn on. Not a single light is turning on, what can I do? Ive tried:
  • resetting cmos -removing and reinserting ram I do not have a second psu Nothing helpful is on the motherboard manual
  • Jumpstarting the psu by connecting pins 4-5, its fan doesnt turn on ( i dont know if that's because its dead or my means of connection is bad )
  • unpluggung psu , pressing on button 30 seconds and attempting to turn it off. for nownothing works
ROG B-450 Gaming ii
RM850 PSU

Worst case scenario, which one should i replace?

thanks in advance for your replies..

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Motherboard.
Seems like you have shorted and fried it.

Try breadboarding first. Assemble your system outside of pc case.
Connect only bare minimum - psu, ram, cpu, cpu fan, gpu, power button.
And try to start it.
The GPU is not required as part of the bare minimum if OP wants to test if the system (motherboard) still turns on. If it does, then plug in the GPU if there's no integrated graphics.

Reactions: Cj-tech
Nov 17, 2021
Motherboard.
Seems like you have shorted and fried it.

Try breadboarding first. Assemble your system outside of pc case.
Connect only bare minimum - psu, ram, cpu, cpu fan, gpu, power button.
And try to start it.

yeah.. I just removed the non essentials, boot it up, nothing happens. should i buy a new mobo straight up? or should i contact a professional before I do so?
How can I be sure It's not the PSU?

For extra information, The wire was a 12v rgb cable that was plugged into it

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021
The GPU is not required as part of the bare minimum if OP wants to test if the system (motherboard) still turns on. If it does, then plug in the GPU if there's no integrated graphics.
Normally, the rgb on the motherboard turns on no matter what, as long as it's plugged in and it's powered. It's not the case here, when a mobo gets shorted is the entire thing broken? I also don't have integrated graphics, i'm on ryzen

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Normally, the rgb on the motherboard turns on no matter what, as long as it's plugged in and it's powered.
The RGB on the motherboard turns on when you push the power button. It should not turn on by itself just being plugged to the PSU.

If you tested it outside of the case to rule out any additional short, and the motherboard still didn't turn on, then you either replace the mobo or test the PSU on another working build before you do so just to make sure the PSU is not faulty.

when a mobo gets shorted is the entire thing broken?

The CPU, RAM, drives and GPU might work normally and only the board went out.

I also don't have integrated graphics, i'm on ryzen

Even if you don't, you can test if the mobo turns on without plugging the GPU.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you have a multimeter you can check the open circuit voltage of the PSU to at least confirm all the rails/voltages are working.

Safest would be to get a new PSU and a new motherboard. If it works, you could try the old motherboard with the new PSU and potentially return the motherboard. But it is highly likely something popped in there. With luck the VRMs saved the CPU and memory. If not...