[SOLVED] Did I just waste my money on a ryzen 7 3700x?

amatthews1558

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
I just ordered a 3700x a few days ago only to find out they are releasing zen 3 series. My price range was $300-$400 for a cpu. Should I return it when I get it? Newegg offers full refunds if i do not open the package. I feel pretty bummed out and thought it was a good purchase, did I just buy outdated software?? (I do not understand the unified cache vs current cache on 3700x)

Solution
Just my personal opinion following, ok?
Keep 3700X or wait a bit for new gen. CPU? Yes, next gen CPU's will be better. How much better? Nobody knows. But one is for sure: they will be quite more expensive. For example, 3700XT (released few months ago) is ~50€ more expensive than 3700X, but performance difference isn't really that big. In short, I expect newer 8C/16T AMD CPU will bi quite better than 3700X but also quite more expensive -not only 50€ difference!
I think, new 8C/16T CPU price will be closer to current price of 3800XT. Why's that? Because electronics supply is kinda poor lately (covid issue, etc) and Intel competition is quite weak.
In short: I would keep 3700X (is CPU I have actually) simply because right now, it has...

Lutfij

Titan
Well, in retrospect, I'd say yes since the news about Zen 3(4000/5000) was in the pipeline for a month. I usually tend to tell people to ask around if they should buy it(parts X, Y or Z) with regards to how urgent it is to buy(without asking a salesman, lol).

The other side of your story is also about your specs, likely with the latter processors, you would need a latter chipset board. So if anything I think you tried to max out on what you had at the time.

Just my personal opinion following, ok?
Keep 3700X or wait a bit for new gen. CPU? Yes, next gen CPU's will be better. How much better? Nobody knows. But one is for sure: they will be quite more expensive. For example, 3700XT (released few months ago) is ~50€ more expensive than 3700X, but performance difference isn't really that big. In short, I expect newer 8C/16T AMD CPU will bi quite better than 3700X but also quite more expensive -not only 50€ difference!
I think, new 8C/16T CPU price will be closer to current price of 3800XT. Why's that? Because electronics supply is kinda poor lately (covid issue, etc) and Intel competition is quite weak.
In short: I would keep 3700X (is CPU I have actually) simply because right now, it has excellent price performance ratio. However, if your budget isn't that tight and you're not in hurry, then you better wait a month or two. Decissions, decissions.. :)

Reactions: amatthews1558
Solution

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I just ordered a 3700x a few days ago only to find out they are releasing zen 3 series. My price range was $300-$400 for a cpu. Should I return it when I get it? Newegg offers full refunds if i do not open the package. I feel pretty bummed out and thought it was a good purchase, did I just buy outdated software?? (I do not understand the unified cache vs current cache on 3700x)

Return it ... Rumors say that the new Ryzen chips are 10-20% faster in gaming ...

As other's note, it's still going to be a terrific processor. Maybe the only thing you'll miss out on are discounts after new product comes out... but that's not a sure thing. Everybody's making a lot of wild guesses but we don't really know what's coming and what the price brackets will be. And at any rate, announcing inside a week doesn't mean full availability in a week so the deeply discounted sales on 3700X's will be a while coming, if at all.

It will also continue to be a great gaming processor...even a 3600X is a great pairing with a 3080. The only way you're going to absolutely REQUIRE the kind of IPC horsepower Zen3 brings (assuming the rumors are true) is running something like a 3090 to make that bank-buster perform like it should. If that's your plan though then you're shouln't fret tossing a 3700X and moving up to whatever the Zen3 equivalent is.

As I understand it...all a unified cache does is hold the instructions in the same cache as the data. I suppose that makes accesses a bit more efficient.

Reactions: amatthews1558