Did I kill both of my drives?

onebrandon

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
Hi all, last night I installed a new gpu and psu. When turinng the pc on there was a spark and turns out the cable from my corsair commander pro that was plugged into a usb header on my mobo wasnt plugged in all the way and it shorted out killing the commander pro. I got a new one today and installed. All is good except now my HDD and SSHD are not being recognized no matter how many cables or sata slots I try. My boot drive(ssd) is working fine so whats the deal here? They are not showing up in the bios, windows disk management, or under the cmd prompt to display them. What should I try next? Is it even possible to fry them? Also, I tried the sata cable that the ssd is using on them and it didnt work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! And lastly, is there a way to get what was on them back or transfer the data to a new drive? It was really games and pictures.

Solution
onebrandon, as suggested, it is best to try them on another computer and see if they are detected there. All electronics can be affected by what you described so yes, it is very possible that the drives are bad. You can download Seatools and run it on the drives once they get detected and see what results it gives. Best of luck.
onebrandon, as suggested, it is best to try them on another computer and see if they are detected there. All electronics can be affected by what you described so yes, it is very possible that the drives are bad. You can download Seatools and run it on the drives once they get detected and see what results it gives. Best of luck.

Solution

onebrandon

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
I took both drives to two different computer stores and they tested them, neither respond or spin so they are dead. All I had on tgere were games and a few applications so I just picked up 2 new 1tb drives.

onebrandon, sorry to hear that. At least the data was not terribly important however it is a must to have it backed up,

The conventional wisdom by tech experts on backups is known as the 3-2-1 method. Basically you want:

3 copies of any data you don't want to lose
2 different mediums it's stored on (so 2 different drives in your computer, for example)
1 copy kept offsite, to prevent against disaster.

Best of luck.