[SOLVED] Did i kill my cpu?

edeenrs

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
Hey, while attempting to remove stock amd cooler my entire cpu got out with the cooler (the only thermal paste was the one applied on the stock cooler). Please check picture

2xcJBjQ.jpg

How am i supposed to remove the cpu from the cooler?

Solution
Hey, while attempting to remove stock amd cooler my entire cpu got out with the cooler (the only thermal paste was the one applied on the stock cooler). Please check picture

2xcJBjQ.jpg

Because it pulled out with the CPU sockets locking arm still down, don't try to put the CPU back into the socket. Can you slowly and GENTLY and without touching/bending the pins, turn the CPU counter-clockwise to "break" (Only a small amount of pressure) the dried thermal paste? (or clockwise depending on which hand you are)
If it refuses to easily twist off, you'll want to warm up the thermal paste between the heat sink and the CPU. (You can start with this step if...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
There could well be some damage. You'd have to check both the CPU and CPU socket for bent or damaged pins mainly.

There is a pretty standard process to removing CPU coolers which should be done when the system is together:
  • Run the system for a short period of time so that the CPU gets warm (thus heating up the thermal paste)
  • Switch off and power cycle.
  • Unlock and then gently twist the CPU cooler off the CPU.

Last edited:

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

2xcJBjQ.jpg

Because it pulled out with the CPU sockets locking arm still down, don't try to put the CPU back into the socket. Can you slowly and GENTLY and without touching/bending the pins, turn the CPU counter-clockwise to "break" (Only a small amount of pressure) the dried thermal paste? (or clockwise depending on which hand you are)
If it refuses to easily twist off, you'll want to warm up the thermal paste between the heat sink and the CPU. (You can start with this step if you prefer) Do you have a blow dryer? Turn it on and gently warm up the surrounding aluminum heat sink. This will allow you to GENTLY twist off the CPU.

Once it is off, gently lift up the CPU locking arm next to the CPU's socket and after making absolutely & 110% sure, (Look at the CPU pins pattern and that 1 corner has a Gold triangle) you'll see where this matches the CPU's socket. (Make sure no dried thermal paste falls onto the CPU's socket) and gently place the CPU back into the socket. You'll immediately notice that it drops right in if lined up correctly. Once in, gently lower the locking arm back into place.

Now proceed to clean off the old thermal paste on both the CPU and Heat sink.

Have you ever applied thermal paste before? If not, let us know before you try to put everything together. Pics are great so we can see what step you are at.

Last edited:
Reactions: edeenrs
Solution

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
This is ok, this happens every time i take of my amd phenom II x4.just make sure no pins are bent.
I'm sorry, that is not good advice!

You are not only risking damage to the CPU, but the CPU socket too. I'm glad it hasn't happened in your case, but quite simply, just follow up above and you eliminate any risk.

If you have ripped the CPU out of a locked socket multiple times, then respectfully, the method needs to change.

Reactions: edeenrs

edeenrs

Prominent
Aug 16, 2019
I was googling solutions for this and the only recommended two were:
  • Trying to cut edges with string
  • Heating up the cooler so the paste warms up and then try to gently rotate the cpu (very gentle to not damage the pins)
String technique didn't work, so I went with heating up the stock fan with hair dryer.

As someone above said, DO NOT TRY TO PUT THE CPU BACK INTO SOCKET!!!

If anyone runs into this issue, heres what worked for me:

USE HAIR DRYER
DO NOT AIM DIRECTLY AT CPU PINS/EDGES WITH YOUR HAIR DRYER (ON WARM/HOT AIR)
INSTEAD, TURN THE COOLER VERTICALLY AND AIM AT THE FAN - THIS WILL WARM UP THE METAL BELOW - HOLD THE METAL WITH YOUR HAND, AND WHEN IT STARTS TO GET HOT FOR YOUR HAND, STOP THE DRYER, WAIT ABOUT 2 MINUTES FOR THERMAL PASTE TO GET WARM, AND THEN GENTLY TRY ROTATE CPU. IF IT DOESNT ROTATE, WAIT UNTIL METAL IS COLD ENOUGH TO HOLD, AND THEN REPEAT THE PROCESS.
(FOR ME IT TOOK 2 TURNS OF HEATING)

To people above, thanks for replying!

CPU was not damaged, however it was a sort of stressful since this has never happened to me.

Best regards.