Question Did I kill my graphics card?

metal lewd

Honorable
May 8, 2014
Hi.
Bought new LG optical drive. Bought a (Chinese) Startech sata power splitter cable. Unplugged a sata power cable from HDD and attached the splitter cable. Then plugged in splitter cable to aforementioned HDD and new LG drive. Drive works. Monitor does not post a picture AT ALL. Unhooked everything and went back to initial set up. Still no signal.
OMG. Thanks in advance.

While it's not recommended to split a SATA cable, the power draw from the HDD and LG Drive shouldn't have exceeded the maximum power a SATA cable can bring. So tehre shouldn't have been any kind of short. What GPU do you have and how is it connected to the monitor? What type of motherboard do you have as well, any boot code or lights to diagnose any issues?

metal lewd

Honorable
May 8, 2014
I have a Tuf Gaming X570 and a Gigabyte RX5700.
Screen has posted after draining system power but has gone to recovery/repair mode. Has the new sata power cable caused this? Terrified to try it again.

metal lewd

Honorable
May 8, 2014
Seems to be ok now but could you advise me how to connect this optical drive without issue. I am out of 4pin psu-sata cables and I cant find one online that's not Chinese. I'm in Australia.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS