[SOLVED] Did I Kill my i9 9900k? -- Troubleshooting Advice Needed

terraform

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
Hey there,
I am pretty new to PC building, (coming from a Mac environment) and I built a PC to be used as a Hackintosh 1.5. years ago. (WAIT DON'T GO... it is a HARDWARE question and not Hackintosh specific :) )
It has been running really smoothly... HOWEVER a few months back I noticed that CPU was throttling and then a week ago after having the unit turned off for a month it was very unstable.

After a lot of time researching and pulling all components and replacing them one by one to try and figure out what was at fault I noticed that my AIO (NZXT Kracken X62) was not working...
I don't know how long it wasn't working but I suspect for some time (as a Hackintosh the NZXT software doesn't run on Mac OS and I don't open my computer unless something is wrong so I didn't notice that the pretty lil light wasn't on)

Anyway to make a long story short(er), now with the AIO running and the system "relatively" stable (in both Win 10 and Big Sur) my CPU is still running VERY HOT and my benchmark scores are horrible for the build (and not nearly what they were a year ago).
I have run Memtest & AIDA64 in Windows and the Memory seems just fine but again the CPU temp and throttling is bad (I think) and my GPU test in Geekbech again seems decent but not amazing for a Sapphire Radeon VII.

To top it off I am working abroad (from US) in Sri Lanka where parts are not as plentiful as in the US/EU and I don't have a technician that I trust here yet so ANY HELP in assisting me to diagnosing the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Bellow are the system specs and benchmark screens from today.
thanks!

SPECS:

i9900k 8 core CPU
z390 Gigabyte Designare
64GB - DDR4 3600 Preditor RAM
Sapphire VII GPU
EVO 860 1TB (Start up)
EVO 870 pro 1TB Cache
NZXT Kraken Water Cooler
EVGA 750 3G PSU
Fenvi FV-T919 wifi card
Fractal Design Meshify C Case

2021_12_stabilitytest-1.png
ZfaJFc.png

HGPNti.png

2021_12_stabilitytest-2.png

GEEKBENCH
gxc7ne.png

00gWnT.png

Screen%20Shot%202021-03-12%20at%2012.19.14%20PM.png
Screen%20Shot%202021-03-12%20at%2012.19.25%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202021-03-12%20at%2012.19.45%20PM.png

Last edited:
Solution
UPDATE ::: SOLVED (i think)

OK well I did all I said I was going to do, but when doing so I noticed that indeed the pumps RPM was zero.
So as some of you suspected the AIO died and needed replacing.
I was able to track down a Corsair H100i and installed that last night and things seem to be operating as they should!
My benchmark speeds don't seem quite as good as they were 1.5 years ago but still within reason and my CPU is idling at 35° with max temps around 68° (when running AIDA64)

QUESTION -- As I was editing 4k footage regularly with a faulty and possibly totally dead pump (before my CPU with throttled to the point of system shut downs) have I decreased the longevity of my CPU now? There was no physical abnormalities...
Hey there,
I am pretty new to PC building, (coming from a Mac environment) and I built a PC to be used as a Hackintosh 1.5. years ago. (WAIT DON'T GO... it is a HARDWARE question and not Hackintosh specific :) )
It has been running really smoothly... HOWEVER a few months back I noticed that CPU was throttling and then a week ago after having the unit turned off for a month it was very unstable.

After a lot of time researching and pulling all components and replacing them one by one to try and figure out what was at fault I noticed that my AIO (NZXT Kracken X62) was not working...
I don't know how long it wasn't working but I suspect for some time (as a Hackintosh the NZXT software doesn't run on Mac OS and I don't open my computer unless something is wrong so I didn't notice that the pretty lil light wasn't on)

Anyway to make a long story short(er), now with the AIO running and the system "relatively" stable (in both Win 10 and Big Sur) my CPU is still running VERY HOT and my benchmark scores are horrible for the build (and not nearly what they were a year ago).
I have run Memtest & AIDA64 in Windows and the Memory seems just fine but again the CPU temp and throttling is bad (I think) and my GPU test in Geekbech again seems decent but not amazing for a Sapphire Radeon VII.

To top it off I am working abroad (from US) in Sri Lanka where parts are not as plentiful as in the US/EU and I don't have a technician that I trust here yet so ANY HELP in assisting me to diagnosing the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Bellow are the system specs and benchmark screens from today.
thanks!

SPECS: i9900k 8 core CPU, z390 Gigabyte Designare, 64GB - DDR4 3600 Preditor RAM, Sapphire VII GPU, EVO 860 1TB (Start up), EVO 870 pro 1TB Cache, NZXT Kraken Water Cooler, EVEA 750 3G, Fenvi FV-T919 wifi card, Fractal Design Meshify C Case

2021_12_stabilitytest-1.png

2021_12_stabilitytest-2.png

GEEKBENCH

Screen%20Shot%202021-03-12%20at%2012.19.14%20PM.png
Screen%20Shot%202021-03-12%20at%2012.19.25%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202021-03-12%20at%2012.19.45%20PM.png

So to clarify you are still using the same AIO?

The issue is the AIO is obviously not working correctly - the reason they stop running is they can get sludge build up internally which limits or stops water flow, in which case it won't keep the cpu cool.

The high temps then mean the cpu will throttle which is why you are getting low scores. I think you need to replace the cooler.

terraform

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
So to clarify you are still using the same AIO?

Ha! I guess I should have elaborated on that... The AIO issue (I am 99% certain) was due to my remapping my USB connections and when doing so I stopped the Power going to the AIO from the internal USB 2.0 header. So I don't believe that the issue was the AIO (but I suppose it could be) but the issue was I ignorantly took power away from the Kraken w/o knowing...

QUESTION(s)
1) The Kraken x62 came with a thermal film (opposed to user applied paste) Is it possible that the continual high temps has compromised the thermal film and that reapplying the unit with some paste would help/solve the problem.
2) (As I am a CPU n00b) -- if the CPU is running hot (which it is), I could assume that would of course limit performance, BUT if we can get the temp down, should the CPU return to it's old glory or would the continual heat compromise it's "ability"... basically I am admitting that I don't understand how CPU's fail or degradation occurs and I am trying to figure out if I need to get a new CPU or if we can fix the temp issue that should solve the CPU performance issues and I need not worry for a bit.

Again any sage advice is very much welcomed!

Ha! I guess I should have elaborated on that... The AIO issue (I am 99% certain) was due to my remapping my USB connections and when doing so I stopped the Power going to the AIO from the internal USB 2.0 header. So I don't believe that the issue was the AIO (but I suppose it could be) but the issue was I ignorantly took power away from the Kraken w/o knowing...

QUESTION(s)
1) The Kraken x62 came with a thermal film (opposed to user applied paste) Is it possible that the continual high temps has compromised the thermal film and that reapplying the unit with some paste would help/solve the problem.
2) (As I am a CPU n00b) -- if the CPU is running hot (which it is), I could assume that would of course limit performance, BUT if we can get the temp down, should the CPU return to it's old glory or would the continual heat compromise it's "ability"... basically I am admitting that I don't understand how CPU's fail or degradation occurs and I am trying to figure out if I need to get a new CPU or if we can fix the temp issue that should solve the CPU performance issues and I need not worry for a bit.

Again any sage advice is very much welcomed!

Ah I follow...

1: Yes changing the thermal compound is a good idea
2: If the temps come down the performance should go back to normal.

The AIO issue (I am 99% certain) was due to my remapping my USB connections and when doing so I stopped the Power going to the AIO from the internal USB 2.0 header.
USB connection is for sensor data - pump speed, liquid temperature readings and RGB control. It is not for power delivery to the pump.
What film? Did you mean transparent plastic cover? That has to be removed.

kraken_19.jpg

2) (As I am a CPU n00b) -- if the CPU is running hot (which it is), I could assume that would of course limit performance, BUT if we can get the temp down, should the CPU return to it's old glory or would the continual heat compromise it's "ability".
CPU temperature under load should not go much above 80C.
100C means - cpu is overheating. Cooler not installed properly or it's broken.

terraform

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
What film? Did you mean transparent plastic cover? That has to be removed.
No not the cover :) the Thermal Paste is pre-applied on new units (as you can see in this Install Vid )

USB connection is for sensor data - pump speed, liquid temperature readings and RGB control. It is not for power delivery to the pump.
OK, good to know, So maybe it was working but the lights just were not on... I SHOULD MENTION that I had the cables routed at the top (as I saw done in several pic builds and in some videos at the time (1.5 yrs ago) but this week in my problem solving quest I have learned that that is the incorrect way to front mount an AIO and I have just 2 days ago flipped it to the "recommended" position (but temps are still high)
1: Yes changing the thermal compound is a good idea
2: If the temps come down the performance should go back to normal.
OK, I am going to do a few things (per suggestions here and on some FB groups):
  1. Flash the Bios
  2. Install newest Bios
  3. Try to jostle out any "water bubbles" from the AIO unit
If that doesn't bring the temp down then I will:
Re-apply Thermal Paste (after cleaning)

If that doesn't work then I will take it in to a shop here (which I am nervous about doing as I can't find any "recommended" shops here where I am at.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far!

Reactions: cdrkf
Sensors are listing only a single cooling fan and that's only topping out at 600rpm.

Where is the sensor reading for the x62 pump and for its fans??

Theres something not quite right with that cooling setuo, the aio is clearly not working well if at all.

OK, I am going to do a few things (per suggestions here and on some FB groups):
  1. Flash the Bios
  2. Install newest Bios
  3. Try to jostle out any "water bubbles" from the AIO unit
If that doesn't bring the temp down then I will:
Re-apply Thermal Paste (after cleaning)
How is that going to help? Cooler is not working properly.
Either pump has died. Can you hear pump working btw?
Or cpu block is full of gunk.
Like here:

download.axd

Replace the cooler.

terraform

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
UPDATE ::: SOLVED (i think)

OK well I did all I said I was going to do, but when doing so I noticed that indeed the pumps RPM was zero.
So as some of you suspected the AIO died and needed replacing.
I was able to track down a Corsair H100i and installed that last night and things seem to be operating as they should!
My benchmark speeds don't seem quite as good as they were 1.5 years ago but still within reason and my CPU is idling at 35° with max temps around 68° (when running AIDA64)

QUESTION -- As I was editing 4k footage regularly with a faulty and possibly totally dead pump (before my CPU with throttled to the point of system shut downs) have I decreased the longevity of my CPU now? There was no physical abnormalities to the CPU, the capacitors or the area around the CPU (such as warping) and while it is too soon to tell my Hackintosh seems to be operating as desired BUT I am curious if my n00b neglect and ignorance has damaged my 9900k?

Reactions: cdrkf
Solution