Question Did i kill my motherboard?

jhamess

Prominent
Apr 15, 2019
19
0
510
0
First of all this is the mother board from a laptop, HP Envy x360 Model 15-cp0000na Convertible.

So i booted up my laptop today only to find it was making a weird noise. I decided to take it apart to find out what it was (Something in the fan). But in doing so i noticed my battery was bulging out, i ordered a new one which said it would take about a week to arrive. So in the mean time i decided to put the laptop back together as not to lose anything important. Stupidly i managed to put the battery in backwards and was instantly greeted by a spark and a burning smell. Ive attached is a link to a picture of the culprit, is it a diode or a fuse (First on the left next to where it says BATT1), and more importantly is there any way it can be fixed.
Thanks in advance for any replies
- James

https://prnt.sc/116ohhx
 

Herr B

Proper
BANNED
May 29, 2020
166
36
190
10
by bulging out you mean like this?


I highly recommend throwing that thing away immediately. Its toxic, explosive and has high chance for firehazard.

NEVER put such a Battery back into the device. Additionally, it should be impossible to put the battery backwards except your applied a considerable amount of force.
Try if your device still works when the new Battery arrives. (or without battery but instead plugged in power cord).
In case it is broken, you should keep the harddrive for data restore.
 

jhamess

Prominent
Apr 15, 2019
19
0
510
0
by bulging out you mean like this?


I highly recommend throwing that thing away immediately. Its toxic, explosive and has high chance for firehazard.

NEVER put such a Battery back into the device. Additionally, it should be impossible to put the battery backwards except your applied a considerable amount of force.
Try if your device still works when the new Battery arrives. (or without battery but instead plugged in power cord).
In case it is broken, you should keep the harddrive for data restore.
Yes bulging out like that, but not nearly as extreme. Also i didnt force the battery back in, it just touched the contact points and instantly burnt out, so i withdrew it straight away.
Just tried booting it up with out the battery and it worked. So does that mean ill have to keep it plugged in all the time or is there still hope for the new battery?
 

jhamess

Prominent
Apr 15, 2019
19
0
510
0
That was a diode, and i think it took the ram and cpu with it, possably. I might be wrong. Test with new battery but i wouldn't get my hopes up
Well the ram was unplugged at the time i think. Either way ill wait till the new battery arrives and see what happens.
 

Krotow

Commendable
Oct 2, 2019
1,010
249
1,590
15
Depends from where shorted component was connected. In best case he will be fine with replacing that single component. Though it may happen that short took some DC-DC converter controller and/or MOSFET(s) together with visibly burnt component. I would took this laptop to repair service or at least to somebody with practice in laptop hardware diagnostic instead.

Though if OP want to learn laptop repairing in practice, he is free to search and download service manual, circuit diagram and PCB layout for this laptop, purchase proper multimeter, hot air gun, solder, flux and some other stuff (PM if you want to know details), learn a bit about electronics and soldering and then repair his laptop by himself ;)
 

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
652
86
1,970
1
Well, laptops mostly work with 14v and 19v, so a 24v 10amp diode should work, or a 24v 5amp diode. Use a smd hot air station. Watch a youtube video or to how to use one and practice, be careful not to born the board or to heat up other components, and double check the direction of the diode and double check again. I geuss you know how a diode works?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS