Question Did I kill my motherboard?

Jan 3, 2023
Hello all,

I have built a new computer, being a total newbie to the whole thing. So something stupid was bound to happen ofc. Here are my parts:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
GPU : MSI Radeon 6600XT 8GB
Motherboard : ASRock MicroATX B550M Steel Legend
RAM : G Skill Aegis 2x8GB
PSU : EVGA BQ 600W

When I had first put everything together, I put the CPU Power Cable into the wrong slots. And I believe the big 24pin cable was not seated properly as well. When I first plugged it in and tried to turn it on, it shut down immediately - I suppose that was a power shortcut. It took me a while to put all the cables into the right spots and put them in all the way - so more shortcuts happened as I was going through all of this; I think like twice more my computer started and shut down immediately.

So now nothing will turn on. Surprise! The debug LEDS are red for CPU and DRAM. I tried everything from a cmos reset to a starting with just one stick of RAM in A2 - nothing works at all. I firmly believe I messed up my motherboard with these three power shortcuts.
Except I don't know. I have no experience and noone close by to help me - could anyone tell me if I really killed my motherboard and if any other parts like my CPU could possibly be damaged?

Thank you for all answers!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Could easily be the power supply, motherboard, CPU, RAM, and even the GPU if you hooked the wrong cables to the wrong places. The only two cables that will readily go the wrong way are the PCI (graphics) plug and the CPU power. Aside from that, without having the 24 pin firmly plugged in and secured it may have shorted/sparked there as well.

I would suggest trying to find either an enthusiast with a test bench they are willing to risk or a mom and pop type PC repair that you can take this to and have each part tested separately.