Question Did I lose all my data from the past 5 years?

Flanders__

Honorable
Oct 15, 2015
Hello all,

long story short but detailed. I was trying to format a USB stick for my car to play audio, the car only supported FAT32, and windows didn't offer the format. Windows showed FAT32ex. So I download easeus partition manager, I formatted the USB drive, might have formatted the system reserved UEFI partition because while the process was on I noticed that partition was highlighted. Once formatted, I highlighted the USB drive, and formatted it to FAT32. It asked me to restart the PC, which I clicked OK. Now windows has blue screen with 2 errors interchangeably appearing. 1. An external device not detected. 2. Issue with windows winboot.exe.

I have digged google for repairs, which were ranging from diskpart, to using a windows winpe disk to restore lost partitions. While in the winpe, I saw that my windows partition showed FAT32 and more than 90% of space available. Which was used 80% while running. I know for FACT I didn't wipe or formatted my windows partition with partition manager. So I don't know where the issue lies.

Windows are still detected by the windows recovery/installation disk. If the windows partition is in fact wiped and 90% of the space is available, why is there windows still detected? btw, while i was doing the diskpart repair, the windows installation was 0.

any help is greatly appreciated.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Get the hard drive into an enclosure and another PC on which you can run EaseUS or Recuva without overwriting what you have.

Unfortunately, the only dependable way to recover data is to not lose it in the first place; a proper backup regimen for your important data is no different than changing the oil in your car or the filter in your furnace! When data isn't backed up, the only question is when you'll lose that data forever, not if.

Reactions: wpgwpg
Hello all,

long story short but detailed. I was trying to format a USB stick for my car to play audio, the car only supported FAT32, and windows didn't offer the format. Windows showed FAT32ex. So I download easeus partition manager, I formatted the USB drive, might have formatted the system reserved UEFI partition because while the process was on I noticed that partition was highlighted. Once formatted, I highlighted the USB drive, and formatted it to FAT32. It asked me to restart the PC, which I clicked OK. Now windows has blue screen with 2 errors interchangeably appearing. 1. An external device not detected. 2. Issue with windows winboot.exe.

I have digged google for repairs, which were ranging from diskpart, to using a windows winpe disk to restore lost partitions. While in the winpe, I saw that my windows partition showed FAT32 and more than 90% of space available. Which was used 80% while running. I know for FACT I didn't wipe or formatted my windows partition with partition manager. So I don't know where the issue lies.

Windows are still detected by the windows recovery/installation disk. If the windows partition is in fact wiped and 90% of the space is available, why is there windows still detected? btw, while i was doing the diskpart repair, the windows installation was 0.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Hopefully your main drive is a HDD and not a SSD.

If it's just the little 500mb (or whatever it is) system reserved partition Windows might be able to repair it

Pull the drive. If the primary boot partition (mbr) was damaged, it can be repaired. If its the windows partition, not so much once trim begins.

But before anything else is done put it in a working system as a secondary drive. Hopefully you can hand copy the files out of your user directory and create 2 seperate emergency backups. This is a crucial step to safe recovery.

Next follow this guide:
https://www.dell.com/support/articl...indows-7-8-8-1-and-10-on-your-dell-pc?lang=en