[SOLVED] Did I lose Silicon Lottery? Delid...

Rachdingue

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
Hello everyone

I started OCing my 7600K since warranty is already over and I want some more power from it. I just did a basic OC to 4.8 and voltage to 1.3~.

When I did stress tests the temperature went all up to 85-90º in just a minute. Do you guys recommend me to delid? I think that shouldn't be normal, I've seen around people getting this CPU up to 5.1Ghz safely.

Mobo: MSI Z270 gaming plus
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 612 V2

Best Regards

Solution

Sorry, I'm not on here much. You're right I did get noticeable temperature drops. However my temperatures were "ok" to begin with. During gaming they were plenty acceptable. In stock form form I was able to achieve 4.9 GHz and still be stable even during stress tests. Within a little over a week I have visible degradation to the core that could not be cleaned. Many would argue this does not affect anything, and it clearly did not seem to, as I swapped IHSs and went on. After the delid, I was still only able to achieve 5.0 GHz, but at a cooler temp, so did I gain anything other than it running a bit cooler? I would say by the...
You don't mention ambient temps? Want kind of case do you have? Does it have good airflow? The silicone lottery doesn't really have anything to do with temperature, it has to do with max speed vs voltage traditionally.

I delidded my 7700k and it dropped my temps. That being said I wouldn't recommend it. I posted my delidding experience on Toms, but searching / finding things here sucks, so here is a link to my post elsewhere Delidding CPUs what I learned (link)

Rachdingue

Prominent
Jun 11, 2017
Well ambient temp right now is low. I cannot tell exactly but I'm cold so could be 20º tops. As for the case is a phanteks eclipse p400. Right now CPU is at 50% load and temperature is 50º, stress test without OC peaks for 65º.

Why wouldn't you recommed delidding? I saw your post and you got some nice temperatures improvements...

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
I have personally seen my temps drop 15C with a delid & liquid metal application. I like it so much I had done the procedure to all my computers and laptops. Of course you risk destroying your CPU doing so. Remember to cover any exposed contacts near the application site. Any liquid metal off of the silicon can cause a short.

Oddly enough Laptops see more of an improvement than desktops, and they don't need to be delidded - just liquid metal between the bare silicon and heatsink. My XPS 15 went from 95C with loud fans to 70C with quite fans.

Sorry, I'm not on here much. You're right I did get noticeable temperature drops. However my temperatures were "ok" to begin with. During gaming they were plenty acceptable. In stock form form I was able to achieve 4.9 GHz and still be stable even during stress tests. Within a little over a week I have visible degradation to the core that could not be cleaned. Many would argue this does not affect anything, and it clearly did not seem to, as I swapped IHSs and went on. After the delid, I was still only able to achieve 5.0 GHz, but at a cooler temp, so did I gain anything other than it running a bit cooler? I would say by the way the chip looks the only thing I gained is a chip with a shorter lifespan, that will require maintenance and me re-doing this process every so often now. Just my opinion.

Solution

I originally ordered Coolabortory Liquid Ultra. Then changed my mind after some reading and decided I was going to run Thermal Grizzly's Condoctonaut. So the difference in these core pictures is the time it took me to receive the Condoctonaut, plus a day or two for me to actually find the time to pull my PC apart.

My 7700k right after delidding, cleaned up:

delid7700k1.jpg

It was hard to get a good picture of it, but there were definitely marks on the die. At this point I also switched back to the stock IHS.

delid7700k2.jpg

At this point I'm only 4 months in, so I don't know if my CPU would look much worse now, or the same. I know my temps have remained the same, so I haven't worried about it for the time being.

I will post my results here too, just so people don't have to follow the link I posted before:

delid7700k3.jpg