[SOLVED] Did I made a mistake buying TUF model of 2060?

SomeGuyonTHW

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
I bought a asus tuf rtx 2060 without watching a single review (although there were no reviews).
does it have a good cooler or I did a mistake? it easily reaches 70C even though I'm not running game at fullscreen on a 1080p monitor
The ROG model was only 30$ more expensive... I feel like sh-t :/
not sure if I really did a mistake.
I saw rog reviews saying that it doesn't go above 65c at max load OCed, I even underclock this one to keep it cooler.
& then I bought another case with better airflow which cost me more than the rog one..

Solution
I bought a asus tuf rtx 2060 without watching a single review (although there were no reviews).
does it have a good cooler or I did a mistake? it easily reaches 70C even though I'm not running game at fullscreen on a 1080p monitor
I saw rog reviews saying that it doesn't go above 65c at max load OCed, I even underclock this one to keep it cooler.
& then I bought another case with better airflow which cost me more than the rog one..

I mean 70 degrees are somewhat acceptable on a card under full load. It wouldn't if that was in idle. We're talking about a 5 degrees difference here from the strix, not like 20, so i wouldn't worry...

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021

I mean 70 degrees are somewhat acceptable on a card under full load. It wouldn't if that was in idle. We're talking about a 5 degrees difference here from the strix, not like 20, so i wouldn't worry too much. It's known that the strix is the best asus model (atleast when it comes to nvidia,we've all seen what happened with the 5700xt serie lol). More than downclocking it, i would try to slightly undervolt it. I have no clue what kind of voltage the 2060 tuf operates at, but MOST card comes with stock voltages way too high to ensure the least possible cards get RMAed. So most card can survive a slight 0.50mV undervolt (0.75/1mV if you won the silicon lottery). I would try that first, if temps still high/card crashes i would downclock by like 100 mhz (which in reality are risibile, we're talking like 2/3% performance loss at best) paired to that 0.50 mV undervolt.

Also, whats your fan curve setting. Both for the card itself and your case. I find that most users can survive a 65/70% speed at around 70 degrees. But that's personal preference and your setup (headphones, case position, case type etcetc).

EDIT ok after some research i found this https://ibb.co/9sr0bgg As you can see yes, the strix and gaming oc reaches temps in the 60s but those are triple fans. The tuf is dual fan, and the other two models that are double fans are both in the 70s like yours. So i'd say it's completely normal. You can't expect to match a totally different card with an extra fan. It simply would be impossible. For 30 dollars more you def could have bought the strix. Ah well.

Last edited:
Solution

Amddefector

Reputable
Sep 5, 2020
I wouldn't say that's a problem. My son has the 2060s dual Evo2 oc and that runs 85c @ 1080. It runs a lot cooler with the case open. I tried a aio cooler on the CPU to try and lower the temp inside the case but all that did was just make the CPU run really hot due to the heat from the GPU being sucked thru the aio cooler!

Reactions: Bassman999

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
I wouldn't say that's a problem. My son has the 2060s dual Evo2 oc and that runs 85c @ 1080. It runs a lot cooler with the case open. I tried a aio cooler on the CPU to try and lower the temp inside the case but all that did was just make the CPU run really hot due to the heat from the GPU being sucked thru the aio cooler!
The same is happening to me.
If I switch AIO to intake the video card gets hotter.
I never get anywhere over 45-50c idle on either component though