did i make a huge mistake? (CPU)

Jan 10, 2015
hello guys recently i bought an intel core i5 4690 non k and i think i made a huge mistake i wanted to buy a i5 4690k but i was scared cause i didnt have a proper psu and cooling so did i do right to get the locked cpu? because im afraid of ocing cpus and also is there a very big difference in gaming overclocking and i5 4690vs locked?

Solution
On my 4690K, overclocked is worth 10% roughly. Used to be I would get closer 30% increase from overclocking with a 10% increase in power consumption. My 4690k results here. Used to be you could get closer to 30% increase (still 10% increase in power consumption) when overclocking. However as chip technology increases, I'm seeing less and less gain between stock and overclocked. My 3570k results here, and it was only 20% gain roughly.

I don't think you made a mistake, it's not going to be a huge difference.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Heres the thing, the K and non K stock perform the same so you would not need any better cooling or PSU for it to just work out of the box. That said if you are afraid to OC then you won't be doing it, so the CPU you have is fine. Don't worry about it.

On my 4690K, overclocked is worth 10% roughly. Used to be I would get closer 30% increase from overclocking with a 10% increase in power consumption. My 4690k results here. Used to be you could get closer to 30% increase (still 10% increase in power consumption) when overclocking. However as chip technology increases, I'm seeing less and less gain between stock and overclocked. My 3570k results here, and it was only 20% gain roughly.

I don't think you made a mistake, it's not going to be a huge difference.

Solution