fauzool

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Alright so I looked up plenty of info and all that and I OC my PC I run Prime95 for 10 hours+ no errors. But Im not sure if this is a problem or not, but when I start up CPU-Z or Everest and look at my CPU Core Speed it is Switching from 3.8 to 2.4 MHz. I OCed to 3.8GHz I am Using Intel Core 2 Duo Wolfdale. What I want to know is why it keeps switching like that. Please let me know if you need any additional information to help me with this problem.

Thanks

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
It's called Intel SpeedStep.

When your processor isn't being used it underclocks itself. This saves power and extends processor life time.

If you keep CPU-Z open, then start Prime95 and do a test, you'll see the frequency instantly jump up to full speed :)

Doing some math I guess you've got an E8500 at 400Mhz bus? 400 x 6 = 2.4Ghz, 400 x 9.5 = 3.8Ghz.
Same chip I use, I love the things.

fauzool

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Yup thats correct E8500. I also tried OCing to 4 Ghz, but I think my mobo is stoping me from doing that. What do you think? I have P5QL Pro mobo not really for OCing.

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Should be fine. Asus make good boards. Its a P43 which I haven't used, so I can't be certain, it could also be your RAM if you only have DDR2-800 etc.

I'm using a cheap Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR.

I was using an Asrock originally (not a fan myself), I just needed a small bump in Vcore for 4Ghz, once I got past 4 the voltages/difficulties go up quite quickly. Not worth it for most people as you wont really notice the diff between 200 or so Mhz. I can't help myself though.

fauzool

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Well I tried boosting CPU Volts to 1.4, Ram 2.0, NB 1.4 left everything else same and It wont boot to xp. So its my Ram most Likly then? I have 2 Gigs DDR2-800 would 3 Gigs help or...?

SpidersWeb

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
If it boots to the BIOS, then chances are the RAM is handling it.
I found with RAM if it doesn't work, it wont start, just gives three beeps and that's it.

You shouldn't need quite so much voltage on the NB, I do 533Mhz on 1.28V without issue. I ran my Asrock P45 at 1.5V, and it didn't last long I'm affraid.

Something you can try is a little extra VTT, keep it as far under 1.4V as you can though. Have seen lots of accounts of > 1.4 killing processors (mostly quads). I'm doing my o/c with 1.3V VTT.

If you find you are having to use excessive voltage to get to 4Ghz, then I'd go for a higher end board. Fighting too hard with voltage for a daily PC can be a bit of a risky game and often not worth it. That's what happened with my Asrock, so now I limit myself to stay within a certain range.

Should also point out, check out the overclocking core 2 duo and quads sticky thread at the top of the overclocking section. Much more information in there :)

Also may be more people who can post up with more experience. I'm no overclocking god or anything.