[SOLVED] Did I overclock too much? Are my temps messed up?

Nov 21, 2021
I'm over locking on my Ryzen 5 3600 and it says I hit a max temp of 95.8 c on my package node 0 is this bad? And what even is that?

Solution
It's a Ryzen. Don't bother overclocking, it's pointless. Ryzen are not Intel, they don't show gains primarily with speeds. They'll show more performance gains with greater efficiency, which is a product of boost vs temps and voltages. Keeping a Ryzen closer to 60°C will get you better efficiency than burning it out at 95°C.

Look up dram calculator and clocktuner2 at guru3d.com. You'll get the boosts, but more important is the lowered voltages and lowered temps.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a Ryzen. Don't bother overclocking, it's pointless. Ryzen are not Intel, they don't show gains primarily with speeds. They'll show more performance gains with greater efficiency, which is a product of boost vs temps and voltages. Keeping a Ryzen closer to 60°C will get you better efficiency than burning it out at 95°C.

Look up dram calculator and clocktuner2 at guru3d.com. You'll get the boosts, but more important is the lowered voltages and lowered temps.

Solution

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Overclocking is dead on both Intel and AMD. Usually you just make performance worse. Set it to stock and enjoy your PC.

If you don’t already know that 100C is too hot and 80C is an acceptable target temp for overclocking, you probably shouldn’t be doing it.

All you are achieving is causing your CPU to overheat, I can’t imagine these extra few MHz are actually delivering any measurable performance benefit before thermal throttling kicks in.

Last edited:
I'm over locking on my Ryzen 5 3600 and it says I hit a max temp of 95.8 c on my package node 0 is this bad? And what even is that?

Node 0 is HWMonitors sensor for the CPU.
HWInfo64 is a better and more accurate temp monitor for Ryzen and measures temps at the die (listed as T-die).
You can Overclock Ryzen however most choose PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) to Auto Overclock in Bios.

Disabling boost and having an all core Overclock will reduce temps along with Core voltage reduction. Start at 1.30V on the core and if the system refuses to boot then up Core voltage in .01V steps till the system boots and system is stable under load.

TJmax on Ryzen 5-3600 is 95C (best kept below 80C) and comes with a Wraith Stealth cooler which is inadequate for all but stock frequency. A 4.6-4.8Ghz Overclock (depending on the sample) is achievable with the correct AIO water cooler.

Last edited: