Did I overclock wrong?

Michaelq

Commendable
Jan 6, 2017
So this is basically my first time overclocking. What I did was overclock my cpu to 4.4 and ram to 3200, crashed. Then I overclocked my cpu to 4.2 and left ram at 3200, it was ok but I am getting terrible frames when streaming rust. I almost want to leave it at stock. If it is worth noting, I disabled SMT and didn't touch the voltage to CPU or RAM. I left those at auto and auto is 1.4 I believe. I am just wondering if I forgot to do something because I don't think it should be doing this.

My Specs:
MOBO: MSI x470 Gaming plus
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
GPU: Asus strix rog 1080 ti
RAM: Corsair vengeance DDR4 3000 Mhz 2x8gb
PSU: Corsair RM750x
Cpu cooler: Corsair h100i v2

Solution
RAM should be at stock 2133mhz default setting until you VERIFY that any CPU overclock is FULLY stable. You can do this by running Realbench on the stress test setting, for 8 hours.

Next, if you want to run the modules at XMP or overclocked settings, you should ALWAYS test the stability of the memory by running Memtest86 for at least three full passes of all 13 tests (Actually only 11 tests as two are only available in the paid version.) using bootable Memtest86 USB media after which, if it passes that, you should run Prime95 version 26.6 (ONLY this version. No newer versions) and choosing the Blend mode option. Run this for 8 hours. If you can do these things then you can be at least somewhat certain your CPU and memory overclocks are...
RAM should be at stock 2133mhz default setting until you VERIFY that any CPU overclock is FULLY stable. You can do this by running Realbench on the stress test setting, for 8 hours.

Next, if you want to run the modules at XMP or overclocked settings, you should ALWAYS test the stability of the memory by running Memtest86 for at least three full passes of all 13 tests (Actually only 11 tests as two are only available in the paid version.) using bootable Memtest86 USB media after which, if it passes that, you should run Prime95 version 26.6 (ONLY this version. No newer versions) and choosing the Blend mode option. Run this for 8 hours. If you can do these things then you can be at least somewhat certain your CPU and memory overclocks are stable.

If you are unwilling to do this, you should leave the system at stock settings as you are likely to create more problems for yourself than you ever thought possible including corruption of the operating system and game/application files due to introducing micro errors into the system due to instability. Errors are not the only thing to be worried about with an unstable overclock. Especially where the memory is concerned.

Solution