Question Did I overload system?

Aug 10, 2020
I purchased a refurb Dell Precision 3620. It came with 16 gb ram, and a NVME SSD, NVIDIA Quadro k2200.

After I received it, spent hours setting up, no issues.

After everything was set up, I upgraded ram to 32 GB, added a sound card and additional 4tb HDD (media storage).

I plug it back in and dead. After a few minutes, the power button began to blink in amber and in sequence 2 then 1 blinks.

I looked this up and it comes up as System Board Failure. After a lot of research, I came across the tip (actually in these boards) of trying a CSOD reset.

I took the battery out, waited a few minutes put the battery back, and the desktop then would power up. It was running close to 2 days with no issues that I could tell. I ran diagnostics and everything came back ok. Although the CSOD could have deleted events I am guessing.

This afternoon, I did a total shut down and as it was ready to power off, I hear a pop. Concerned, I go to power it back up and again, dead like a couple days ago. This time no amber blinking lights.

I did the CSOD thing again and, like before, now it powered up.

The desktop comes with a 290w PSU (Dell OEM).

This is dumb question, but with the additions I made to the unit possibly overload the PSU and that's what was causing this?

An SSD uses about 3 watts,, an extra RAM stick about the same, and, I can't imagine a sound card being a large power hog either...(in short, I doubt it is power related)

I'd remove everything you did, and start with just the extra RAM stick, as RAM is normally added in matched pairs, vice simply adding a stick where the system might very well be confused by sticks of differing specs, and, a pair of sticks that might not work together in single or normal dual channel operation...

Edit: sorry, got tot he part where you heard a pop...you can 'hope' that was just a PSU popping, and, that is the first thing you should try given 'hearing a pop, and now won't power on at all'....

Aug 10, 2020
When I did the memory, i took out the 2 8gb and replaced with 2 16gb. But I did the coad thing again and it was running. Something isn’t right . So I am going to return it. I know its a refurb, but I shouldn't have to start replacing or troubleshooting less than a week after getting it.

TRENDING THREADS