Question Did I potentially compromise my PC ?

Mar 29, 2020
So I built a new PC and forgot to get another Ethernet to go from the router to the PC so I just connected the Ethernet directly from the wall to my PC. It just showed as network 2, I downloaded the drivers etc this way. Then I used my work laptop like this for a couple minutes. I now realize that may have not been smart. I live in an apartment with Fiber, there’s a google fiber jack in the closet I’m not sure if every unit is on their own network or not.

Im not really worried about my computer but more so my work computer somehow having it’s data compromised or something like that. Any input? I’m having some major anxiety about it now.

Do you get a public IP address from your jack? If so, then you might need to worry.

Your work computer is probably hardened (or it should be) against 'issues', but if you're concerned, contact your IT dept and they can probably remote in and check/fix it.

Mar 29, 2020
Do you get a public IP address from your jack? If so, then you might need to worry.

Your work computer is probably hardened (or it should be) against 'issues', but if you're concerned, contact your IT dept and they can probably remote in and check/fix it.
Any ideas what the problems might look like?

So I built a new PC and forgot to get another Ethernet to go from the router to the PC so I just connected the Ethernet directly from the wall to my PC. It just showed as network 2, I downloaded the drivers etc this way. Then I used my work laptop like this for a couple minutes. I now realize that may have not been smart. I live in an apartment with Fiber, there’s a google fiber jack in the closet I’m not sure if every unit is on their own network or not.

Im not really worried about my computer but more so my work computer somehow having it’s data compromised or something like that. Any input? I’m having some major anxiety about it now.

Contact whoever manages your apartment building and ask them how those jacks are setup. It should be no more risky than using your own router. How is your router connected to the internet? Also you said you forgot to get another Ethernet, I am guessing you mean cable, but if you have a cable connected to a wall jack why not just use that cable?