Question Did I put too much paste on this Alder Lake CPU?

In my opinion, yes, that is too much

If you used about 1/4 or 1/5 of that amount, it will not spill over to the socket and create a mess when a cooler presses down and heat makes it spread.
More is not better. The purpose of paste is to fill in microscopic air pockets in the mating surfaces. Paste is more conductive than air, but not as good as metal to metal contact.

Oct 5, 2022

There was a time that people would tell horror stories of using too much thermal paste but the reality is that the worst that is going to happen is you are going to make a hell of a mess and waste perfectly good thermal paste.

I would also advise if you are not sure, it is far better to use a little too much and risk a mess than it is to use too little and there being insufficient gap filling between the IHS and the plate of the chosen cooler.

That being said, and as others have mentioned, you probably only need about half that amount

Reactions: Nighthawk117
This is a very divisive post you've made :) It's a fair amount but it won't cause you any problems, the line is better for Alder Lake due to it's rectangular shape. As @Soupladel says, it's better to have too much than too little, worse case scenario is you have a bit of a mess to clean up next time you want to re-paste. It's not electrically conductive and pretty easy to get off with IPA Alcohol if need be.

Doing some research, Here is a guide on paste application methods for various processors:
https://hothardware.com/news/noctua-outlines-amd-ryzen-7000-cpu-thermal-paste-application-method
It seems that lga1700 being longer, they recommend the 5 dot method.
I think, though, how well any paste application spreads will also depend on the cooler.
The flatness and pressure will make a difference.
But, when all is said and done, methods results in negligible thermal differences.
The key is to use some paste.

As to the original OP question, I think the the long line method as photographed will be fine for lga1700.
If some spills out, then too much was used.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech